Engine died today - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Unhappy Engine died today EDIT: Replacement is in, but still having problems.

Last night, I noticed that my engine was knocking. This was the first time I had heard it. Drove about 10 miles total after hearing it. This morning, I checked the oil level, it was good, and I saw oil splashing around through the fill hole, so I drove again. Probably 40 miles total. About a mile from home, the knocking very suddenly became more intense, added a grinding/clicking/screeching noise. Oil pressure light came on and engine shut off. Starter won't crank the engine over.

Seems like the oil pump went out, but from initial knocking noise to complete failure seemed way too fast. Everything was perfectly normal with the engine up until yesterday.

So I guess I need to find someone that might be able to rebuild it, or find a complete replacement. I love this car, so I'm willing to put the time into it. I can remove and replace the engine, but the problem is finding a suitable replacement. I'd prefer to just have mine rebuilt, but depending on the extent of the damage, that may not be possible. So I'm reading several threads here on the subject to fill my head with all the info I can.

129,4XX miles. No CEL. Regular maintenance. Mods listed in signature.

Shit man, this sucks.
2003 6S MTX, 2006 Fusion engine swap, Fidanza alum flywheel, Exedy clutch, Cordova Motorsports 70mm OTB w/ coolant bypass, Custom Spectre CAI, CPe MAF Customizer, Cp-E Wishbone Mount, Magnaflow cat-back, EGR mod, TWM short shifter, Koni FSD, Eibach Pro-Kit, 18" Kazera KZ-J (+55mm), Blacked out emblems, Atenza Badge, Audiolink MP3 USB adapter, Scangauge II w/ Blendmount, Apexcone DDE Lighting Raptor Edition, 8000k 55w, red interior LED's.

Last edited by gondlesnorf; 01-13-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Update
gondlesnorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts

I'm sorry I wish I knew what happened to my car.. it was sent to be parted out and had a perfectly running engine with about 97 on it.

I've seen lots of people suggesting Fusion blocks, so maybe you can go for one of them?

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2013 Scion tC MTX Release Series 8.0 (1688 of 2000): Build Thread
2005 Mazda6i MTX Hatch: Traded. Build Thread
2004 Mazda6s MTX Hatch: Totaled.
2000 Dodge Neon ATX: Winter Beater
YayITzToxic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Thanked 1,117 Times in 904 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Bummer it crapped out on ya man. Time to start calling junk yards. Any 3.0 duratech with the VVT will work for ya. Some parts will need to be swapped over to the replacement engine. Finding a running one in the wreckers will likely be cheaper than rebuilding if its major failure.

What a buzz kill man.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayITzToxic View Post
I'm sorry I wish I knew what happened to my car.. it was sent to be parted out and had a perfectly running engine with about 97 on it.

I've seen lots of people suggesting Fusion blocks, so maybe you can go for one of them?

Did your Mazda die? Didn't you just get it?

I'm scouring CL for Fusion's or Mazda 6's. From what I've gathered, only those will work for an entire engine replacement. But if you just replace the bottom half, there are plenty of other cars (Mazda MPV, Ford Taurus, Mercury Milan...) that have the Duratec 30 engine and they'll work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess the Mazda 6 and the Ford Fusion were the only Duratec 30's to get variable timing.
2003 6S MTX, 2006 Fusion engine swap, Fidanza alum flywheel, Exedy clutch, Cordova Motorsports 70mm OTB w/ coolant bypass, Custom Spectre CAI, CPe MAF Customizer, Cp-E Wishbone Mount, Magnaflow cat-back, EGR mod, TWM short shifter, Koni FSD, Eibach Pro-Kit, 18" Kazera KZ-J (+55mm), Blacked out emblems, Atenza Badge, Audiolink MP3 USB adapter, Scangauge II w/ Blendmount, Apexcone DDE Lighting Raptor Edition, 8000k 55w, red interior LED's.

Last edited by gondlesnorf; 12-22-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondlesnorf View Post
Last night, I noticed that my engine was knocking. This was the first time I had heard it. Drove about 10 miles total after hearing it. This morning, I checked the oil level, it was good, and I saw oil splashing around through the fill hole, so I drove again. Probably 40 miles total. About a mile from home, the knocking very suddenly became more intense, added a grinding/clicking/screeching noise. Oil pressure light came on and engine shut off. Starter won't crank the engine over.

Seems like the oil pump went out, but from initial knocking noise to complete failure seemed way too fast. Everything was perfectly normal with the engine up until yesterday.
Sorry to hear about the engine and yes it does suck.

The Fusion engine is probably your best/cheapest option based on what others have posted.

Any time you hear a knocking noise from an engine, you want to stop driving it *immediately* until you can positively identify the cause and if loss of oil pressure was the issue then I'm surprised it even made it through the initial 10 mile drive.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smoke View Post
Bummer it crapped out on ya man. Time to start calling junk yards. Any 3.0 duratech with the VVT will work for ya. Some parts will need to be swapped over to the replacement engine. Finding a running one in the wreckers will likely be cheaper than rebuilding if its major failure.

What a buzz kill man.

I found a rolled 2005 Mazda 6S on CL pretty close to me. Hopefully the engine is decent.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Any time you hear a knocking noise from an engine, you want to stop driving it *immediately* until you can positively identify the cause
Scott
I'm kicking myself in the ass for driving it this morning, but I guess I would have been running in circles for a long time trying to figure out the issue.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondlesnorf View Post
Did your Mazda die? Didn't you just get it?
I bought this one to replace one that was rear-ended and totaled.

2013 Scion tC MTX Release Series 8.0 (1688 of 2000): Build Thread
2005 Mazda6i MTX Hatch: Traded. Build Thread
2004 Mazda6s MTX Hatch: Totaled.
2000 Dodge Neon ATX: Winter Beater
YayITzToxic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Thanked 1,117 Times in 904 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Im not sure if the mercury cougar got the VVT or not. Worth looking into. Hopefully the 6 close to you on CL has a decent engine.

Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayITzToxic View Post
I bought this one to replace one that was rear-ended and totaled.

Oh I see. So this is Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smoke View Post
Im not sure if the mercury cougar got the VVT or not. Worth looking into. Hopefully the 6 close to you on CL has a decent engine.

Yeah. And cheap. I need to get a flywheel and clutch as well. I'm thinking Fidanza Aluminum and Stage 1 clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.