PCM replacement - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default PCM replacement

I have the no start (no spark) problem when it's below 40^and finally want it resolved. Kinda tired of taking the blow dryer to the pcm to get the car to start.

If you had your pcm replaced in the past what exactly needed to be reprogrammed just the keys or was it more than that?? Like vin flashed to pcm?

If you have been here and had this done, could you let me know how much i'm looking at spending. Thanks all!
crash3d is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash3d View Post
I have the no start (no spark) problem when it's below 40^and finally want it resolved. Kinda tired of taking the blow dryer to the pcm to get the car to start.

If you had your pcm replaced in the past what exactly needed to be reprogrammed just the keys or was it more than that?? Like vin flashed to pcm?

If you have been here and had this done, could you let me know how much i'm looking at spending. Thanks all!
That's a bummer. FWIW: in other autos the ODO comes from the ECM too. not sure about the 6.

Until you get the bugs worked out; a 40w bulb may be helpful. How long has this been going on and have you ever pulled it to look over every pin/connector to make sure there is not corrosion or anything strange like that?

Is this something you do in the dealership parking lot to save a tow bill?

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Bought the car last november, installed engine and had it happen a couple of times (no start when cold). This year it's being a pain in the ass about it.

ODO mileage stays with the cluster IIRC on this car.

Got quoted about 99 dollars to have it flashed and get PCM to talk to the PATS system at a dealership.

Seriously the hair blowdryer for 5 or so minutes does work lmfao! Also, yes I have checked the pins and as a matter of fact it's sitting in front of me now. Taking pictures for when I go to the salvage yard so I get the proper one that had all of the options I have. Stupid lil numbers are important i guess.

This may fix my p0300 that is unfindable too. I have a cigarette lighter automotive 200watt heater mounted in there pointed at it and it works but takes for ever. No more rigginz, I do things the right way if I understand how and why which is why i rigged for temp. Huh, 40 watt bulb......

This car needs to be dependable in all Minnesota temperatures and the is the ticked.

Def in the dealership lot lol! Good question.

Last edited by crash3d; 11-27-2012 at 03:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to crash3d For This Useful Post:
Final Impact (11-27-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Well the junk yard PCM is in and installed, keys programmed and death flashed..... now to wait til it cools down to see if it is gonna start when it's cold.

Also got the wiring schematics in paper copy form of the wiring for the PCM and engine harnesses from the dealership.

On a positive note it was only 75 for the programming and 42.50 (friend price) for the PCM!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

WOW! you didn't mess around! So it started right up and no MIL???

So the 75 fixed your key(s) chip ID to the ECM? Are the FOBs to the body control unit or are they to the ECM and did the ODO stay correct (as it was)?

Good job! Hope that Fixed it's cold feet!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

The dealership did the work but he never opened my hood. Yeah 75 at the dealership for programming keys and software update. You ask for one and ya get the other i guess.

Odo stayed true and am not sure if the key fobs are tuned to the bcm or ecm(pcm) on our cars but it all works. Beat the snot out of it on the way home to get my yellow mil back up lol! Got home and it's p0304 which is weird cause they are the mustang 4.6liter coils. At least it's better than P0300 hahaha!

Not so happy with the acceleration with this flash, i like it aggressive and firm when it shifts instead of consistant but the surging between 50 and 60 is gone which was the egr sampling rate fix so am overall a happy camper.
Final Impact (11-28-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

You posted in another thread so I have to ask, did changing the engines ECM change how you car shifts??? Likely because it runs Proper = yes. But anything else?

=========
((PASTE))
03 3.0 auto 5 speed 2-3 shift shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash3d View Post
I have had the shift shock in my 03, I just got a boneyard pcm for an unrelated problem but in the process I got the most recent software update when they reprogrammed my keys and key fobs. Maybe look into verifying with the dealership that you have the most recent flash. The PCM has been updated a gazillion times and I believe there was a tsb on it. I will look and see if i have it still. But it's worth a try. How are your coils? Just sayin.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Simple answer, yes.

It ran ok but wouldn't start for shit when cold out.

The dealership gave me the latest computer programming when they programed my keys. Mind you my 6 is a 2003. It no longer jerks hard when i come to a stop sign and do a 1 second quick stop and back on the throttle. Also when in D it shifts smoothly through all gears instead of occasionally slamming between 2-3 or wide open throttle 4-5 kinda searching. The reprogram cured this. I did also do the passenger side engine mount and the torque (dogbone) mount which may have contributed.
Final Impact (11-30-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.