I give up, someone help - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I give up, someone help

This will be long because I can't think of many ways to give all pertinent info without typing it all out.

Our car had been having some of the normal stuttering problems that it seems we've all encountered. They were rare and never throwing a code. My wife called Friday afternoon and told me the CEL came on. I told her to go get it read immediately. Cylinder 3 misfire. They cleared it and I put it on my "Do Soon" list.

Friday night we had to go to the hospital because my wife is 8 1/2 months pregnant. On the way home at 12am the car has started running REALLY rough not wanting to rev higher. As we were getting off our exit the car dies. TCS, AT CEL all come on. I coast to side. Turn car off and it restarts immediately. Still running rough but I am able to baby it home. The car is stuttering, barely running, etc.

So I go first thing Saturday and buy 3 new coils for the rear bank and 6 new plugs. Put the 3 new coils on and all new plugs. Go to drive it and it's still running like absolute garbage. It's hard to pinpoint the cause, but I can get it to die and restart like the previous night.

So I look online some more...

Seems that the precats can get clogged, especially if you've had a misfire. I can't afford headers, nor do I need them on my family hauler so I figure to be safe I'll gut the precats. This should give me peace of mind in the future and solve this issue right?

So I spend Saturday night and all day Sunday getting the precats gutted and the exhaust back together. What a fucking nightmare. But I get it back together Monday afternoon. Go for a drive convinced they'll be good, and maybe I'll even get a nice exhaust note.

Nope. No change whatsoever. Same awkward idle. Same rough running. S me issue with dieing while driving. It does throw a CEL and I get P2110 for Throttle Actuator Forced RPM yada yada.

More checking online...

Could be a TB needing cleaned, could need replaced, could be MAF.

I cleaned the TB and no improvement whatsoever. Car runs awful.

I'm hesitant to buy a MAF because mine was cleaned recently and they can;t be returned if it's not the issue.

So will a bad TB cause ALL this? Stalling while driving, rough idle, terrible running in general? I can't afford to keep throwing money at this car hoping it will fix it.

Also, this one part did apparently break. It has coolant running through it and runs through the bottom of the TB. I'll obviously be calling the dealer tomorrow to order a new one but I have no friggen clue what to call it and don't want to be running my car around with it spewing coolant and the car running like shit.

Could that cause all these issues with the TB considering it wouldn't really be a vac leak? It will be replaced regardless but just curious because it is spewing coolant.
Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Already answered my last question here:
CAI install... I broke something :(

has the part number and everything in case anyone else comes in here years from now trying to find the part.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sure sounds like a bad run of luck there. . . Then again that POS T broke on mine too just from looking at it.

So why only the back 3 coils? What made you point the finger at them? Bad coils can suck the life from any car and I ask as you make no mention of codes for them.

Assuming you kept track of the 3 that came out from the bank1 and replaced them, finding NO change; can you toss those three into the Bank2 on the front?

What did each of the plugs look like and how did the precats look before being punched? Were they cracked? If so, both or just bank1, just bank2?

All the little details help solve the mystery. Hang in there. . .

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

We did get a CEL for cylinder 3 misfire. Thus replacing the back bank. Thought I put that in tgere but may have missed it.

I could certainly put those coils in the front. May try that shortly.

The plugs all looked relatively normal and consistent to be honest. And the cats looked fine too. But I'm fine with having done them if for no reason than future peace of mind.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
We did get a CEL for cylinder 3 misfire. Thus replacing the back bank. Thought I put that in tgere but may have missed it.

I could certainly put those coils in the front. May try that shortly.

The plugs all looked relatively normal and consistent to be honest. And the cats looked fine too. But I'm fine with having done them if for no reason than future peace of mind.
You did, I lost it in the thread shuffle. . .

Any chance you I'd #3 so it doesn't go back in? I mean it only takes one bad coil to make them run REAL rough so hopefully you can avoid going backwards.

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My guess is that you have the AA throttle body. I still do also. Same issues until I took the black cover off of the side casing on the TB cleaned all of the oil out, put it back together and added a ground to one of the bolts securing it, and for piece of mind I added black zip ties to the connector. Mostly because the previous owner broke the clip for the wires, beats buying a new TB though. Also that broken coolant piece can be bypassed. It only goes to the throttle body and was done away with in newer models. You have a 2003?
crash3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash3d View Post
My guess is that you have the AA throttle body. I still do also. Same issues until I took the black cover off of the side casing on the TB cleaned all of the oil out, put it back together and added a ground to one of the bolts securing it, and for piece of mind I added black zip ties to the connector. Mostly because the previous owner broke the clip for the wires, beats buying a new TB though. Also that broken coolant piece can be bypassed. It only goes to the throttle body and was done away with in newer models. You have a 2003?
2004 Wagon. I got the coolant bypass done last night so that is the one thing that has gone smoothly! I'll be calling around trying to find a TB tonight but I'll try opening up the black casing first as I only cleaned the flapper

Last edited by Kansas; 11-14-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

Contact sheldon@mazmart.com for a TB. eBay and scrap yard are okay options too.

that is your issue btw.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
Kansas (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

No local salvage yards have any 6's. Our one shop that sells salvaged/rebuilt parts can get one for $275 but not til Friday. Ouch. Going to pay to get it coming this afternoon. I just want my car back
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Thanked 1,104 Times in 895 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

I wouldve gotten a 3.7 TB or an optimized from cordova motorsports.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mr.Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.