Engine code p0303 - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Everyone
Here is a update . Im still getting the p303 code . Ive replace the spark plug ,the coil pak . twice now . Ive moved fuel injector to different cylinder . The odd thing about this is car will run fine for the first 60-80 miles fine . No Issues then it starts with a mis then the engine light comes on and it the p303 code. Is it possible that it is the fuel pump ?

Thanks
David B
dbmazda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Learners License

this is what happened to my 2004. i replaced all the coils in the back about 2 weeks after doing the plugs (rather nice of the dealer to NOT share the systemic coil failure with me and suggesting that i replace the back coils at the SAME time as doing the plugs). still had random P0300 codes popping up and then a lack of power and studdering/hesitation. turns out my rear (firewall) pre-cat was plugged and essentially exploded from all the unburnt fuel (due to misfiring) this then plugged the cat downstream and also POOCHED my engine.....last week! Please have your rear pre-cat checked.
brent matthews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Learners License

i should mention that they (the dealer) checked the fuel pressure and swapped out all 6 of my injectors and coils with new ones in attempts to diagnose what turned out to be an engine failure. picking up a used engine tomorrow night and...fingers crossed....my shaggin' wagon should be back on the road by Friday!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Learners License

and further to the 60-80 miles mark...it's funny, the dealer let us leave with a "fixed" car 5 times only to have us return the next morning....after a certain amount of driving. they did try but just missed this. i just can't see how they wouldn't clue into the "bad cat" and faulty coil thing. i'd like to think that it is not in an attempt to grab more cash from loyal customers.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

your issue resulted in expecting a dealer to know wtf is going on. They specialize in replacing engines, not repairing them. it is too much work to think through a problem when you can be positive you fixed it when you replace the engine.

to the OP,

do yourself a favor and take a zip tie, and go around the coil pack and through the wire loom to make sure the coil power cable isn't coming out of the coil. from time to time the clips are very common to break the retainer part. Zip tie will help hold it in place.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper66 View Post
do yourself a favor and take a zip tie, and go around the coil pack and through the wire loom to make sure the coil power cable isn't coming out of the coil. from time to time the clips are very common to break the retainer part. Zip tie will help hold it in place.
yep, i had a P0302 misfire come back on me about 50 miles after replacing the plugs and coils on the rear bank because the retainer on the coil connector broke on disassembly, and wouldn't hold the connector onto the coil properly. this time, after plugging in the connectors, i wrapped the connection with electrical tape. connectors are now held securely onto the coils.

i also found it interesting that changing the coils cleared up another issue i was having. i was getting P0420 (or maybe P0421) pre-cat 1 efficiency low DTC and CEL was on. now, with fresh plugs and coils, i'm no longer dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, and the cat DTC has not returned in over a week of regular driving.

PC
angrycorvair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycorvair View Post
yep, i had a P0302 misfire come back on me about 50 miles after replacing the plugs and coils on the rear bank because the retainer on the coil connector broke on disassembly, and wouldn't hold the connector onto the coil properly. this time, after plugging in the connectors, i wrapped the connection with electrical tape. connectors are now held securely onto the coils.

i also found it interesting that changing the coils cleared up another issue i was having. i was getting P0420 (or maybe P0421) pre-cat 1 efficiency low DTC and CEL was on. now, with fresh plugs and coils, i'm no longer dumping raw fuel into the exhaust, and the cat DTC has not returned in over a week of regular driving.

PC

FWIW: I personally would not rely on electric tap for holding anything together unless the final wrap was to tie it into a knot. As the adhesive goes through all those heat cycles it simply comes undone. That is not to say I don't us that product, just be aware of its limitations! I'd have more faith in a Zip tie myself.

BTW - Angry CORVAIR! A 65 Chev Monza was my first car from 15 y/o to 24 when wrecked it! PM me if you see this; curious what's behind the name - V8 perhaps???

@angrycorvair

BTW - I curse you Mazda for not being smart like Yoder and using the coils Ring Back signature (reported to the ECM) to detect coil misfires vs the crank trigger and Engine Misfire for "other causes". This net loss of communication means the misfire has to be much worse "emission wise" before it triggers a MIL.

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
FWIW: I personally would not rely on electric tap for holding anything together unless the final wrap was to tie it into a knot. As the adhesive goes through all those heat cycles it simply comes undone. That is not to say I don't us that product, just be aware of its limitations! I'd have more faith in a Zip tie myself.

BTW - Angry CORVAIR! A 65 Chev Monza was my first car from 15 y/o to 24 when wrecked it! PM me if you see this; curious what's behind the name - V8 perhaps???
Good advice there, re degradation of adhesive. I didn't really think about that. I guess the intake has to come off again, but probably not until it sets another misfire code on the rear bank, LOL.

Yep, I had a Crown V8 car a few years ago, ran the Grassroots Motorsports $2003 and $2004 Challenge with it. Have had 12 Corvairs, since getting my license in '83.
angrycorvair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycorvair View Post
Good advice there, re degradation of adhesive. I didn't really think about that. I guess the intake has to come off again, but probably not until it sets another misfire code on the rear bank, LOL.

Yep, I had a Crown V8 car a few years ago, ran the Grassroots Motorsports $2003 and $2004 Challenge with it. Have had 12 Corvairs, since getting my license in '83.

Not sure where that event is/was; but our trend started by making the Chev rear engine into Sand Rails. We built about 6 different chassis from different kits and some home brew fab. Later I found a straight and intact Vair and drove it for many years after a complete restore. Had the 4 1bbl carbs 140hp, tried a spider Holly setup small 4bbl, but it froze the carb all the time.

PS - A Zip tie over the tape will keep it in place so it doesn't unravel. Good luck on the error issue. Keep us posted. Also, throw up some pictures of the Vair some time and ping me. tks

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads

Last edited by Final Impact; 01-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.