Injen Intake Causing Limp Mode/ Engine Lean Code? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Injen Intake Causing Limp Mode/ Engine Lean Code?

Vehicle: My car is a 2003 6s manual with rebuilt 2006 motor; 80K on the motor, 133K on the frame.

Symptoms: erratic idle (revs will drop to around 500 then to 2K-2.2K), uneven acceleration, engine stumbles...this past Saturday, engine revs would not pick up and could not accelerate beyond around 60mph. Now car can barely get out of first gear: I have to rev my engine as if clutch is about to go (which is not the case, put in Clutchmasters clutch in February) just to move 10 feet. I had this issue with the Cordova TB, I went back to stock TB and same issues. Check engine light is on (sorry do not have code, but its a lean code). 02 sensors are working fine (running msds headers with upstream and downstream 02 sensors...I live in VA).

Proposed solutions: My shop states that my car just doesn't "like" the Injen intake and wants to put the stock airbox back on. I'm not a mechanic but I don't think it's necessary to remove the intake- I already swapped the TB and I just don't want to go through the trouble of putting in the stock airbox...oh, plus I sold it. My shop is going to look at replacing the throttle position sensor, egr, and MAF.

Unanswered questions: Should I consider purchasing an updated TB harness from Mazda? Cordova does not sell them anymore so I'm forced to deal with the dealership on this one. Lastly, could I be dealing with an ECU that just is not "relearning" properly? If that is the case, can the dealership update the ECU (or is it called "flashing").

Anyway, I know my issue is not unique and definitely a combination of things already posted on this forum. I've read the related posts (that hesitation problem again, TPS issues, etc...) but still would like some input and guidance. Any help appreciated- thanks!

2003 Mazda 6, 3.0L V6 MT: Injen CAI, Magnaflow catback, Vibrant high-flow cat, MSDS headers, Mcculloch 6000K HIDs

Past Rides

2008 Ford Focus Coupe S - mostly glamour mods, ask me what happened.
2000 Passat 1.8t - stealth attack, ask me what happened.

*see photo album for mod details*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,980 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have very little specific knowledge of the 3.0, but if I'm following your timeline right:
installed intake>eratic idle>lean code

then I suspect either a severe air leak post MAF, or the Injen is flowing enough extra air that even tho it's metered air, the ECU can't correct fuel trims enough to compensate.

Also, at least with the speed6's turbo engine, the injen intake is dimly viewed for consistently triggering such symptoms- Different application completely tho, so have no idea if that applies to the 3.0, so probably just confusing matters...

Good Luck!

Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop

HTP 3.5"; BNRs3v1; MAC EBCS; CXR fmic; 3 BAR; GFB Respons; VTCS Delete; JBR TIG;
XS Power ExMani; M2 DP; Custom Magnaflow exhaust; Luk Clutch & Fidanza FW;
KMD; CPE SafeSeals; MD OCC; K2 & JBR EGR Delete;

Bilstein & Mazdaspeed springs; SPC's; WL RSB; Steeda F&R Adj End Links;
CPe xFlex RMM; Corksport TMM Inserts; Dread & Jugg diff mounts; EBC Yellow's &
Carbotech XP8's; Racing Brake SS brake & clutch lines

Dynojet SAE corrected 420/395
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
b5reincarnate (05-30-2012)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Before buying all this stuff I'd clean the MAF sensor by spraying with electronic cleaner it's probably dirty (do not touch or it's no good) I have the Cordova OTB and mine doesn't do any of that so I doubt its your TB, and did you say they are replacing the TPS(throttle position sensors?) i might be mistakin but I thought those were built into the TB's?? The harness could need replacing tho, try it it's inexpensive. The Injen intake for the V6 is popular and many users dosay they get a CEL but it doesnt usually cause all the things your explaining. And lastly with headers, intake, and OTB you are gonna be running lean so you might just need a tune or the CP-E MAF Customizer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mjeezy11 For This Useful Post:
b5reincarnate (05-30-2012)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
I have very little specific knowledge of the 3.0, but if I'm following your timeline right:
installed intake>eratic idle>lean code

then I suspect either a severe air leak post MAF, or the Injen is flowing enough extra air that even tho it's metered air, the ECU can't correct fuel trims enough to compensate.

Also, at least with the speed6's turbo engine, the injen intake is dimly viewed for consistently triggering such symptoms- Different application completely tho, so have no idea if that applies to the 3.0, so probably just confusing matters...

Good Luck!
I pretty much installed everything at the same time...one of the guys at the shop said the same thing about the increased airflow as a result of the combination of the intake and optimized TB. Def looking into air leaks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeezy11 View Post
Before buying all this stuff I'd clean the MAF sensor by spraying with electronic cleaner it's probably dirty (do not touch or it's no good) I have the Cordova OTB and mine doesn't do any of that so I doubt its your TB, and did you say they are replacing the TPS(throttle position sensors?) i might be mistakin but I thought those were built into the TB's?? The harness could need replacing tho, try it it's inexpensive. The Injen intake for the V6 is popular and many users dosay they get a CEL but it doesnt usually cause all the things your explaining. And lastly with headers, intake, and OTB you are gonna be running lean so you might just need a tune or the CP-E MAF Customizer.
Thanks for brining up the point about cleaning the MAF- that's been done and no dice. I also agree that my mods make it ideal for lean conditions, but there is no tuning solution (that I'm aware of) and CPE no longer sells the MAFci.

2003 Mazda 6, 3.0L V6 MT: Injen CAI, Magnaflow catback, Vibrant high-flow cat, MSDS headers, Mcculloch 6000K HIDs

Past Rides

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Jeezy- just spoke with the shop and told them to double check whether or not they needed to replace the TPS. They clarified that that was not necessary, but just wanted to check it to make sure everything's good.

At this point, they have sourced a stock airbox and are going to see how the car runs without the Injen intake. To TiGray's point, the shop said the same thing about the Injen intake causing CELs and not being the best option to choose. One of the techs owns a MS6 and agreed that Injen's intake is not a fan fav within the speed 6 community. The shop also mentioned that Injen has done three revisions to their intake and still state on their website that it may cause a CEL.

Anyway once the stock airbox is on, they are also going to try to recalibrate the TB by disconnecting both terminals on the battery and then doing some weird combination of steps specified in Mazda's service manual...I hope this crap works. Either way, they haven't charged me any labor up to this point so it's nice to see them stand behind their work and double check things for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

Past Rides

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b5reincarnate For This Useful Post:
Mjeezy11 (05-30-2012), TiGraySpeed6 (05-30-2012)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeahh I was looking into a Injen intake myself and everyone with the V6 usually recommends them behind only the CP-E if you can get ahold of a used one. But most say they get CEL codes from most of the intakes except the CP-E w/ MAFci. And I used to get crazy acceleration problems and stuff before replacing my OEM TB that had failing sensors, but once replaced no more problems. Keep me posted tho for sure!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeahh I was looking into a Injen intake myself and everyone with the V6 usually recommends them behind only the CP-E if you can get ahold of a used one. But most say they get CEL codes from most of the intakes except the CP-E w/ MAFci. And I used to get crazy acceleration problems and stuff before replacing my OEM TB that had failing sensors, but once replaced no more problems. Keep me posted tho for sure!
Alright, well the car is running PERFECTLY...with the gotdamn stock airbox. FML. Who runs around with exhaust, hi-flow cat, headers, and...wait for it...STOCK AIRBOX? Good new is the shop gave me an extra MAF. So, to be safe, I'm either going with a short ram or waiting for someone to sell their mafci.

I also still have my optimized TB...I may put that back on next weekend and see how that goes with the stock airbox.

If anyone has any reason to caution me against doing any of the aforementioned mods, let me know.

Past Rides

The Following User Says Thank You to b5reincarnate For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (06-02-2012)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,980 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Glad it turned out to be that easy to define!
the pox on injen.....

Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop

HTP 3.5"; BNRs3v1; MAC EBCS; CXR fmic; 3 BAR; GFB Respons; VTCS Delete; JBR TIG;
XS Power ExMani; M2 DP; Custom Magnaflow exhaust; Luk Clutch & Fidanza FW;
KMD; CPE SafeSeals; MD OCC; K2 & JBR EGR Delete;

Bilstein & Mazdaspeed springs; SPC's; WL RSB; Steeda F&R Adj End Links;
CPe xFlex RMM; Corksport TMM Inserts; Dread & Jugg diff mounts; EBC Yellow's &
Carbotech XP8's; Racing Brake SS brake & clutch lines

Dynojet SAE corrected 420/395
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page