V6 engine replacement guide(please help me build) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Default V6 engine replacement guide(please help me build)

Reading Material for those looking for replacement 3.0L V6

mazda 6 v6 vs fusion v6 are they 100% the same?

V6 Engine Replacement

Requirements for 06 fusion motor into 03 6S

for those who need help setting timing

Any 3.0L Duratec product should work for the bottom end. A simple search will come up with things like Ford Taurus’s and Even Noble’s using the same or almost identical bottom ends (note noble bottom ends are built for turbo applications). Some applications such as Fusion’s and other products with VVT are even more suited to replace our AJ6 power plant because they share the same VVT system that our 6’s know and love. You must maintain the VVT system for our cars due to our ECU’s being tuned to accept this, unless you wish to venture into solutions to eliminate this feature.

There is no direct replacement to my knowledge other than the AJ6 that will be a simple unplug and plug. Even with VVT Equipped power plants like the fusion things like Timing covers and stuff must be exchanged from your old power plant to function properly or modified to fit. Things like Taurus bottom ends however are an entirely larger project as they require you to reuse the Mazda header onto your new bottom end.

Well the engines are out, either route you choose, simply things like spark plugs, oil pan gaskets, plenum seals, vacuum lines, PCVs, front and rear main seals, and other tid bits should be cared for well the motors are easily accessible to avoid head aches. I would also advise checking the timing chains for any slack and tensioners for tension on the chains, as find out after they are in the engine bay is not fun. Replacing motor mounts, CVs, and other suspension components with the engine out of the cradle may also serve you well.

Transmissions on both the MTX and ATX transplants do not matter. Both engines are identical and require no additional modifications for them to mate with your car. It would be advised at the time the engine is out to also service these components well they are visable and accessible. Replace anything that is worn so you do not have to tear it apart again down the road.

There is lots of discussion of IF the CATs are prone to cause “premature” engine failure. It is advised with any route you take that you take your emission laws into consideration and either Gut the cats, cut and splice in test pipes, purchase aftermarket headers or look at factory replacement exhaust manifolds to avoid having another dead engine down the road. There is no great science to diagnosis if the cat has failed other than to see how air/ or light pass through it, but please take it care when looking into.

Also, there have been questions lately about whether the cams must be replaced. The 38 vs 42 teeth cam “issue” is not related to the V6. This has to do with the 2.3L engine swapping and does not relate to our discussion. Rest easy that ford didn’t try and reinvent that wheel.

Lastly, the 3.7Ls in the CX9 and 2G V6 in theory may work. Ford/mazda designed these power plants to be backwards compatible as we are finding with things like the TB’s. You are welcome to give them and the 3.5L out of the Taurus a shot too. No one has yet given it a try so I can not speak if they work, but it has been theorized you could make them work. Going to a Cyclone power plant would be a decent gain in performance, but a tune at a very minimum is going to be required for this to even begin to be discussed.

PS I have been asked several questions on this subject which has resulted in my writing this. I’m sure there is more to add and more I have forgot as it is more like Riding a bike(yeah I can, but god help me if I was asked to write out how to do it) than anything else anymore. Those who have had experience please add more data and info so we can link people to one thread with lots of data, instead of 100 threads with little bits and pieces.

Last edited by flipper66; 03-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
b5reincarnate (01-17-2012), C-town hill (04-30-2012), gondlesnorf (03-29-2013), Mikenice03V6 (04-19-2014), oaktonarcher (02-04-2014), PAmazda (02-16-2012), PapaSmurf (10-02-2013), pepperjack13 (08-10-2012), railrat (12-06-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default timing chain cover

why wouldnt the fusion timing chain cover work with a fusion serpentine belt or is there more to it???
gbojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default duh

think i answered my own question with this pic
Attached Thumbnails
V6 engine replacement guide(please help me build)-timing-cover.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
banana boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-man
well i measured the flywheel from the block then measured the old Mazda motor and noticed the flywheel doesn't come out as far on the fusion motor .... fusion flex plate comes out a 1 1/8 and the Mazda flex plate comes out 1 1/2 from the block so i pulled out the engine back out today and they are different ....... changed it and got it running today ... so they are different ( or at least mine is ) .... thanks for the input .... happy holidays

Good info found out courtesy of T-man.
The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
Mikenice03V6 (04-19-2014)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0

hey guys after much too much time looking i have decided to try swapping out my 04 mazda6 5 spd wagons engine. i was wondering if anyone can assist me with this? which engines from which cars work and what will i need in order to make this a successful transplant. I will....

1 take pictures as well as video from the swap to assist others in the future
2 BE GRATEFUL
fastindian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
banana boat.

I guess you didn't read the first post?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Things swapped when we performed the 06 Milan swap in an 04 MTX:

Outer timing cover
Valve covers w/ coils
Lower plenum w/ fuel rail
Lower oil pan w/ pickup

Car started right up on the first try
gtr_rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Having a small Heart attack...

Ok Guys, I'm reaching out for some help here. I am in the middle of trying to swap an 07 Milan motor into my '04 Mazda 6. When the mechanic pulled the Mazda motor out, and put it side by side with the new motor, he said that ALOT more than the list above needed to be changed, including HEADS and all sensors. Is this true? Could it be that the wrecking yard sold us a different motor than the 07 Milan Motor? Please advise. Thanks
mopartruckcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default bump

u got pics??? if it is an 07 milan u will only have to swap out whats listed. now if its a bare block meaning no upper or lower intake manifiolds then ull have to swap those out like i did, no biggie
The Following User Says Thank You to gbojon For This Useful Post:
mopartruckcrazy (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
banana boat.

yep sounds like you got the wrong engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
mopartruckcrazy (09-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.