V6 engine replacement guide(please help me build) - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

very well,so the heads are different castings?i do not have the used engine yet but my research showed same head casting,so i ASSumed simple cam swap and timing.what is the difference in the heads?also,the engine coming out is locked up,dropped a valve or something in middle cylinder radiator bank.i am wondering is valve failure is due to possible cat being stopped up and super heating cylinder.thanks
ngnbldr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

I don't know about the castings being different, I would assume they are the same. In most cases people don't take the extra effort to swap just the cams, instead of just using the mazda heads.

Radiator bank?
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Learners License

front of car...i pretty sure its #4 cylinder.i guess the heads are like the 2.3 and the front cam cap is different from one engine to the other and does not allow interchange.thanks again.i have made my decision to just sell it the way it is.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

"radiator bank" as in the front bank. which is bank 2.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Learners License

update!!2004 taurus engine had correct 4 releif piston,the heads are different only where the water pump is driven and valve cover bolt holes.Both sets were roller follower rather than buckets and all internals are the same valves,springs,guides, locks and seals.it appears the chains and tensioners are the same and of course the rails,cams and gears are different.I have not yet assembled the engine back as i have had a hard time locating the o'rings for timing housing into the vvt and for the head.Mazda could not even look them up.I ordered some for a 07 ford fusion and they were extremely expensive 19.45 per ring(6 needed) and they could not service the housing seal to head(2 needed).i decided to look at jaguar and they serviced both part number large o'ring c2c8281 $.89 each and part number c2c8278 small o'ring $1.45 each for a grand total $8.30.i hope they are right when they come in i have my fingers crossed.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Learners License

Hey, I just replaced my Mazda motor with an 07 Fusion motor. Everything went great, I took a lot of photos of disassembly and even made a cheeky little time-lapse of us putting the engine back in [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151305093889155]. Thanks so much for your help on here guys!!

However, I am now looking to sell my Mazda engine block [118k w/blown head gasket]. Anybody on here interested or know where the best place to shift it would be? I can't seem to post in the classifieds here :-/

Here's a pic of it without the timing cover and valve covers.
pgreen1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Learners License

does anyone know of a bigger throttle body for my 05 6s that will bolt on and only needs to re learn the computer
MAZDA 6S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I am helping a friend fix his 2003 Mazda 6, engine recently deceased. A few years back I swapped a 3.0 Taurus into my 1999 Contour SVT, so I was pleasantly suprised to see the Mazda 3.0 is a Duratec at heart. Local yard has a Mazda engine, but it is $1300. Fusion looks to be the way to go, cheaper and less miles. Just to clarify, the Taurus did not come with VVT but the 6 and Fusion both have it? If so, I will be sure to get the right engine for the swap. I don't feel like swapping heads and such.

Thanks for all the good info, have been reading a few threads on swaps, really helpful.
StLDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLDave View Post
Just to clarify, the Taurus did not come with VVT but the 6 and Fusion both have it? If so, I will be sure to get the right engine for the swap. I don't feel like swapping heads and such.

Thanks for all the good info, have been reading a few threads on swaps, really helpful.
Yup. I have an 09 fusion motor in my 03 Mazda. It is discussed in my Track Car Prep thread around page 10. You'll have to swap intake,valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, harness etc, but block and heads are the same.
Good luck
CR

My Threads:
DIY Engine Replacement
Track Car Prep
My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/canyonry...ow=grid&view=0
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Canyon, thanks for the info. I began this adventure reading your posts, honored to have your comments. Going to pick up an '06 Fusion with 26K on it today for $500. Hoping it is a smooth swap. You still believe in dropping the engine and trans out of the bottom? All gaskets are Mazda 2003 spec?

Thanks again!
1996 Ranger
1970 Camaro
StLDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.