2004 Mazda 6 V6 Idle Problem After Changing Rear Ignition Coils - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2004 Mazda 6 V6 Idle Problem After Changing Rear Ignition Coils

Hey there, I have a 2004 Mazda 6 v6 and a couple weeks ago I had a misfire code for my rear middle cylinder. I took off the intake manifold etc etc and replaced the coils and spark plugs and after I put everything back together the car was running excellent, smooth, powerful and idle was perfect. After driving the car about 200 miles I was sitting at a stop light and I noticed the idle was at about 1200RPM when I had the car in neutral without the clutch depressed. As soon as I depressed the clutch the idle went right back to a normal 700-800RPM. I drove a little longer and after a couple more lights the car threw a P0507 code, idle not what expected or whatever, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why I am getting this code now, and why only when in neutral but with the clutch in it is fine. I was very careful putting back on all the vacuum lines which had to come off, I also tightened the EGR valve in snug so I don't think that would leak. Anyone have any ideas? From what I read it could be MAF, EGR, PCV, etc etc. Oh, I also put a brand new PCV valve on the car so that couldn't be the issue. I don't know what to start checking first!
04mazda6GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
e4w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w

are all the vaccum lines connected and not cracked? did you tighten the intake manifold in the right sequence?

my 6
http://forum.mazda6club.com/newbie-s...ml#post3307638

185.66/ 170@126k mi (Nov 5, 2011)
e4w is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

I definitely tighted the IM down in the right sequence as per the instructions I found on this site. As for vacuum lines, they are definitely all connected, I didn't check extremely close for cracks but they didn't look like they were in bad shape. I cleared the code and it has only come back once in a week and I haven't even seen the car idling high since that initial time when I posted this. Whatever it is, seems to be barely an issuem so maybe it's a very small leak. Just annoying if the code keeps coming back.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
e4w

i had my clutch done last year and Mazda forgot to reconnect a switch on my mtx, i was getting the same symptoms. i didnt want to post this at first because its nowhere near the intake manifold. what codes are you still getting?

my 6

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Hmm interesting you say that because just today I went to start my car and it would not start. I have had issues with this in the past where I had to push the clutch down harder or even let it off and push it right down again then it would start, it won't start at all now, not even if I reach down with my hand and push the switch in all the way with my finger and try to start it. This wouldn't happen to be the switch would it? The code I was getting was a P0507 but I haven't seen it in a week now. Do you think these things are related or separate. Also if you have any ideas on the clutch switch or why my car won't start, that would be great. Thanks for the help BTW!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
e4w

i looked up that code and you may have a vacuum leak somewhere or forgot to connect a vacuum line. why it wont start, i dont know.

check all your connections on the trans and vac lines. hopefully you didn't overtighten and break something.

my 6

Last edited by e4w; 08-05-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Groans: 0

I had a problem like that one time the car didnt start. I had to go to the fuse box on the floor in the driver side and change the fuse which I think is 25 (ignition). If u replace that n ur car starts that means u still have an ignition coil problem.

Or like the previous guy said rough idling can be cause by cracks or one of your vacuum hose is suckin air some much that the hose is compressing the hose.

Last edited by eitho; 08-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.
eitho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

could someone tell me what the ohm reading is for a 2004 mazda6 coilpac..
kmulford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
e4w

.54-.56 Ohms(primary coil winding) when checking between the two pins, at 77F. 5-6 kilo ohms for the secondary windings, at 77F. The resistance will increase with coil temp. A fine crack on the top of the oem coil is usually the sign of a failing coil, near the label.

my 6

Old 11-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

My son's car had the coil issue and unfortunately still does. I ended up having to put the car in the shop and have a coil changed, only to need to have a second one changed. The car drove fine for a very short period of time. I'm sure it's another coil and don't really know if the first two that were changed are working or not. He's in Orlando and I'm in NC. I'm handy enough to deal with the issue, but he's not. Given the circumstance, my opinion is we need to put it into a Mazda dealership and have all the coils and all the plugs changed. At least he would have the warranty on the repair. Is this overkill? Does anybody know what this is likely to cost me?

Last edited by UCF Knight; 11-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.
UCF Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.