Engine rattle when going uphill - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been searching the old posts trying to find a similar problem and haven't found a solution yet. This problem (http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...amp;hl=rattling) is the closest thing I can find but it doesn't ever say whether the guy got it resolved and he's only got 9 posts so who knows.

I hear this noise almost exclusively on the highway, only when going uphill. Its a rattle from somewhere in front of me, sounding like something's loose. Its not the camshift-tick noise - I listened to the sound clip posted on here and it sounds nothing like that, plus it doesn't happen at idle. I cannot duplicate it whenever I want and it only happens on the highway so I don't know how to tell the dealer to duplicate either. Suggestions?

'03 Mazda 6s Lapis Blue w/ full Razzi body kit

Past Owner of an '03 Protege5 (for 32 days :-( RIP) and a '97 Explorer (miss that thing too)
jayhawk6s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

If it's not pinging, then it could be bad pre-cats. After a while they will sound like BBs in the bottom of a coffee can rattling around. The ceramic brick in the pre-cat starts disintegrating and starts rattling around the casing. This can be really bad if you suddenly decelerate and suck a piece of brick into the exhaust port. Any loss in mid-high RPM pull? Extra heat down in the footwell?
03-6i ATX: Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion, Custom CAI/MAF, 2 1/4" Exhaust, Optimized TB, Adjustable Fan Controller CordovaMotorsports.com (An RPM Customer!)
twowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
If it's not pinging, then it could be bad pre-cats. After a while they will sound like BBs in the bottom of a coffee can rattling around. The ceramic brick in the pre-cat starts disintegrating and starts rattling around the casing. This can be really bad if you suddenly decelerate and suck a piece of brick into the exhaust port. Any loss in mid-high RPM pull? Extra heat down in the footwell?[/b]

Nope, seems completely normal except for the noise. Weird!

'03 Mazda 6s Lapis Blue w/ full Razzi body kit

Past Owner of an '03 Protege5 (for 32 days :-( RIP) and a '97 Explorer (miss that thing too)
jayhawk6s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Been searching the old posts trying to find a similar problem and haven't found a solution yet. This problem (http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...amp;hl=rattling) is the closest thing I can find but it doesn't ever say whether the guy got it resolved and he's only got 9 posts so who knows.[/b]
First off, I ain't a guy. Secondly, I'm sad to report that this problem has not been solved...yet. I know, pretty damn amazing considering the fact that I posted this problem way back in '05?? Jeez, I'm even surprised myself that I've lived with this annoyance for this long and still haven't been able to get it fixed, all thanks to my dealer. I will post my findings here though, since it may help out once and for all find a solution to this thing.

I first have to say that to get this problem even examined by the techs at my dealer, I've had to go in multiple times with the end result of "couldn't reproduce" or "can't hear it". Finally at one appointment though, I went in and told them AGAIN, the possibilities that it could be the heat shields or loose bolts and they decided to take a look at it. I had to leave it at the dealership again due to work and when I came back, all the tech guys had gone home (lazy ass people, it wasn't even 5) and was given a sheet explaining what had gone on by some bookkeeping lady. It said on that report that they removed rocks from the heat shields. Excuse me, rocks?? This was a complete surprise to me since I didn't and still don't recall driving on gravel. After I read this, I was pretty sure my problem was fixed since they removed rocks, not pebbles, ROCKS from my car. It seemed like everything was going well, until the next afternoon, when lo and behold, I start hearing the damn rattling once again. At this point, I was just so fed up and tired of this sh*t that I stopped caring. I mean what's to do when the professionals can't do anything about it? Especially for someone who's completely clueless when it comes to cars.

The problem with the rattling I'm hearing is that it never happens when the weather is cold. So, basically during fall, winter, and spring, (where I live at least) I literally don't hear this at all. I really don't think it's pinging as twowheelin suggested since to me this noise is pretty damn loud. The sound of a BB in a tin can would probably be too minute of a sound in my case. I also listened to that clip about ticking and it's definitely not it since it's probably 3 times as loud. I hear this after driving for a while in warm to hot temps; no longer just on hills but basically anywhere unless I'm driving over 60mph. So, as summer's approaching, I started hearing this a few weeks back and will be taken in tomorrow morning (not by me though). It's not actually going in for that problem specifically (burning tire smell after 4-month maintenance and tire rotation) but I'm hoping they'll take a look at it since it'll be left at the dealership for almost the entire day. It sucks they donít look at cars to fix on Saturdays, only oil changes. I'll let you know of the results.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackCherry06

Hot weather + engine load.....My bet would be pinging. What I would do:

Run your tank nearly empty, pour in a bottle of Chevron Techron and add 10 gallons of gas. Drive til empty again.

Now, go fill up with one octane grade greater than you normally use. If you already burn premium and you're pinging, it's likely a carbon buildup issue. Get a throttle body cleaning done and go another round with Techron and see if it doesn't go away.

If cleaning doesn't solve your problem, there may be a reason your ECU is keeping your timing too far advanced (another source of pinging).

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
BlackCherry06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ReCLaIM Send a message via MSN to ReCLaIM

Quote:
First off, I ain't a guy. Secondly, I'm sad to report that this problem has not been solved...yet. I know, pretty damn amazing considering the fact that I posted this problem way back in '05?? Jeez, I'm even surprised myself that I've lived with this annoyance for this long and still haven't been able to get it fixed, all thanks to my dealer. I will post my findings here though, since it may help out once and for all find a solution to this thing.

I first have to say that to get this problem even examined by the techs at my dealer, I've had to go in multiple times with the end result of "couldn't reproduce" or "can't hear it". Finally at one appointment though, I went in and told them AGAIN, the possibilities that it could be the heat shields or loose bolts and they decided to take a look at it. I had to leave it at the dealership again due to work and when I came back, all the tech guys had gone home (lazy ass people, it wasn't even 5) and was given a sheet explaining what had gone on by some bookkeeping lady. It said on that report that they removed rocks from the heat shields. Excuse me, rocks?? This was a complete surprise to me since I didn't and still don't recall driving on gravel. After I read this, I was pretty sure my problem was fixed since they removed rocks, not pebbles, ROCKS from my car. It seemed like everything was going well, until the next afternoon, when lo and behold, I start hearing the damn rattling once again. At this point, I was just so fed up and tired of this sh*t that I stopped caring. I mean what's to do when the professionals can't do anything about it? Especially for someone who's completely clueless when it comes to cars.

The problem with the rattling I'm hearing is that it never happens when the weather is cold. So, basically during fall, winter, and spring, (where I live at least) I literally don't hear this at all. I really don't think it's pinging as twowheelin suggested since to me this noise is pretty damn loud. The sound of a BB in a tin can would probably be too minute of a sound in my case. I also listened to that clip about ticking and it's definitely not it since it's probably 3 times as loud. I hear this after driving for a while in warm to hot temps; no longer just on hills but basically anywhere unless I'm driving over 60mph. So, as summer's approaching, I started hearing this a few weeks back and will be taken in tomorrow morning (not by me though). It's not actually going in for that problem specifically (burning tire smell after 4-month maintenance and tire rotation) but I'm hoping they'll take a look at it since it'll be left at the dealership for almost the entire day. It sucks they donít look at cars to fix on Saturdays, only oil changes. I'll let you know of the results.[/b]

I think I have the same problem!
I've gotten the same excuse from the dealers, "couldn't reproduce".. I even got a "bad gas" last time.. haha.

But with mine is coming from the rear, I think from the area around the actual cat's but it could be something in the muffler, not sure. I cant really tell by driving.. but it only does it at certain RPM's when under load (acceleration).. which could explain why it happens to you going uphill.. since your rpm's may be compensating..

Do you notice it at a certain RPM?

I've even told them to specifically check the cats, but I don't think they do it.. I also get a rotten egg smell in the winter on cold starts.. and spirited driving in cold weather.
03 6s Onyx Black,AEM CAI,Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, B&M Transmission Cooler,Magnafine In-line transmission filter, Blue 4-LED 194's Doors/Maplights, PIAA Extreme White H1 low beams, Brake Light Mod,Side Marker Turn signal mod. Black painted headlights, black console. Leather, heat, Bose.. and nothing else worth mentioning
ReCLaIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Hot weather + engine load.....My bet would be pinging. What I would do:[/b]
Do you really think it's pinging?? I mean this noise I'm hearing is nothing like some small BB's rattling in a tin can, as others have suggested. It's more like sheet metals hitting each other or huge nails/rocks bouncing around somewhere. I wonder if there's a clip of it somewhere on the net or if I can record the sound with my digital camera (since I don't have a camcorder).

Quote:
I think I have the same problem!
I've gotten the same excuse from the dealers, "couldn't reproduce".. I even got a "bad gas" last time.. haha.

Do you notice it at a certain RPM?

I've even told them to specifically check the cats, but I don't think they do it.. I also get a rotten egg smell in the winter on cold starts.. and spirited driving in cold weather.[/b]
Hmm, I'm not sure about the noise coming from the rear since in my case, it's definitely coming from the front or underneath the hood. I haven't been paying attention to the RPM's when this is happening but I can say for sure it happens in the 20-45mph range.

Oh yeah, the sulfur smell?? I've dealt with that issue since the first week of owning the brand new 6. I've complained about this problem for many many months but they keep telling me the same thing....that it's normal for this to happen on a mazda or 6's and to try higher octane gas. Complete bull, since I've tried higher octane gas for weeks and the problem still persists. I'm noticing it less than before; none ever on the freeway but it's still there on warmer days of city driving. It's so annoying because the smell is horrendous and people really do notice it when they're sitting in my car.

I haven't gotten my car back yet so I'll let you know if there was any progress with this problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ReCLaIM Send a message via MSN to ReCLaIM

Quote:
Do you really think it's pinging?? I mean this noise I'm hearing is nothing like some small BB's rattling in a tin can, as others have suggested. It's more like sheet metals hitting each other or huge nails/rocks bouncing around somewhere. I wonder if there's a clip of it somewhere on the net or if I can record the sound with my digital camera (since I don't have a camcorder).
Hmm, I'm not sure about the noise coming from the rear since in my case, it's definitely coming from the front or underneath the hood. I haven't been paying attention to the RPM's when this is happening but I can say for sure it happens in the 20-45mph range.

Oh yeah, the sulfur smell?? I've dealt with that issue since the first week of owning the brand new 6. I've complained about this problem for many many months but they keep telling me the same thing....that it's normal for this to happen on a mazda or 6's and to try higher octane gas. Complete bull, since I've tried higher octane gas for weeks and the problem still persists. I'm noticing it less than before; none ever on the freeway but it's still there on warmer days of city driving. It's so annoying because the smell is horrendous and people really do notice it when they're sitting in my car.

I haven't gotten my car back yet so I'll let you know if there was any progress with this problem.[/b]
It may be that your 'pre-cats' are fried.. and my 'cats' are fried.. I believe that the sulfur smell (I definately agree its embarrassing) is linked.. I've done a lot of research... and its the only thing I can think that would be causing that.. but.. its inspection month for me.. so when I take it in I'll have them look at it again.. my car is now out of warranty.. so lets see if they try to change their tune on me now.. I've taken it in at least 5 times in the last 4 years about the same problem.

Mine happens between the 20-45 mph range also.. but its basically in any gear before 5th, as long as I am accelerating, and it does it specifically at 3000 rpm for me.. it has a 'mini-rattle' at 2500, but if I hold it accelerating @ 3k rpm I can hear it steady. It seems to be at a certain airflow through the exhaust.. which makes total sense.

Next time I go, I'm going to get one of them to ride with me.. because it definately is constant.

Although, it may be a different issue, it sure seems close, and I'm glad someone else is getting the same thing.. lol
03 6s Onyx Black,AEM CAI,Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, B&M Transmission Cooler,Magnafine In-line transmission filter, Blue 4-LED 194's Doors/Maplights, PIAA Extreme White H1 low beams, Brake Light Mod,Side Marker Turn signal mod. Black painted headlights, black console. Leather, heat, Bose.. and nothing else worth mentioning
ReCLaIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
If it's not pinging, then it could be bad pre-cats. After a while they will sound like BBs in the bottom of a coffee can rattling around. The ceramic brick in the pre-cat starts disintegrating and starts rattling around the casing. This can be really bad if you suddenly decelerate and suck a piece of brick into the exhaust port. Any loss in mid-high RPM pull? Extra heat down in the footwell?[/b]
As mentioned before 'it could be bad pre-cats'. That burning tire smell is probably the heat from your clogged pre-cat. OK maybe its rocks in the coffee can instead of BBs, but this rattle is sounding like bad pre-cats and the smells mentioned are also symptoms of this type of problem.
03-6i ATX: Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion, Custom CAI/MAF, 2 1/4" Exhaust, Optimized TB, Adjustable Fan Controller CordovaMotorsports.com (An RPM Customer!)
twowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
As mentioned before 'it could be bad pre-cats'. That burning tire smell is probably the heat from your clogged pre-cat. OK maybe its rocks in the coffee can instead of BBs, but this rattle is sounding like bad pre-cats and the smells mentioned are also symptoms of this type of problem.[/b]
The burning tire smell from bad pre-cats?? Also linked with the disgusting sulfur smell?? Holy crap, I definitely did not know anything about that so I really have to thank you both. If I see that this problem is still there after a few days, then I'll call in about the pre-cats. By the way is there is TSB for this?? It would make my life so much easier if there was since we all know how the dealer handles these types of things.

Well, got my car back. Not sure if all the symptoms I wanted fixed or attempted to get fixed at least is gone or not since I didn't get a chance to drive around too much today. But here is what I had done....(well, it's what it says in the post-write up).

1) Car not shifting smoothly.
Solution: PCM calibration done

2) Rattle under car.
Solution: Straighten shield by rear muffler (so hey, this may actually be somewhat of a linked case after all ReClaIM, since you reported rattle from the rear)

3) Burning tire smell since 4-month maintenance w/ tire rotation done last Saturday.
Solution : Clean oil off exhaust pipe....wtf?
They said they couldn't reproduce the smell and in the meantime burned off 1/4 tank of gas while trying to reproduce. Great timing, considering the price of gas is ridiculous these days.

ReClaIM ~ Hope you can finally get your bad pre-cats fixed. I can't believe that you weren't able to get it fixed under warranty. Well, I guess it goes the same for me with this rattling issue since I've been battling this since '05. Good luck and definitely let us know because I really would like to see how everything went. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.