Ignition Coil Replacements - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to drag3369

the saem thing happened to me with my mazda 3 it might take ya a while they're a bunch of stubborn asses who might try and say you didnt give the engine proper maintence and bs like that

2003 6s V6 Steel Gray 4door

My Garage
drag3369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Each time they diagnosed my problem was from a cylinder misfire code. I would imagine if you have one of those events saved in your computer you could push the issue to get that one replaced for free if your still under warranty.

I just worry about how often this is going to happen after my warranty. Anyone have a cost on these?
Boozted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to djquik1

they retail for around $80.I can get them to anyone on here at a discounted price.I am pushing on the guys at accel to make a coil replacement that fits our application since it fits alot of other lines as well in ford/mercury/lincoln/jaguar/volvo cars.
djquik1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I am pushing on the guys at accel to make a coil replacement that fits our application since it fits alot of other lines as well in ford/mercury/lincoln/jaguar/volvo cars.[/b]
That would rock! I've been looking for a better replacement option for when I have to replace them on my dime.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Not a problem.I will post a thread up soon for some different manufacturers websites that link to product interest.If everyone would drop an email we may get some new products quickly.

Accel coils
Samco sport silicone hoses for cooling and turbo's
MSD coils

that is just to name a few.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know why I was hoping Ford/Mazda would of fixed the life of the COPs (Coil-On-Plug) before the Mazda6 release, seeing as they stuck us with a problematic fuel pump that they have known about since 1996.

4.6/5.4 Mod motors were the most common of the COP failure, coils starting failing at 60,000 miles, nothing you can do other than replace them and hope you trade the vehicle in before the next 60,000 miles or hope the aftermarket realizes Ford's design mistake.

MSD and Granatelli have Ford COP performance replacements, the question is, are the pins in the right order? Ford uses two style of coil connectors and the only difference is they are reversed as to the wiring.

One of our members here was considering purchasing the MSD coils and an MSD box to go with them. That is the last I heard.

1994 Mazda B3000 SE
Daily driver

"In fact, we should have a threesome cuz I love me some crazy bitch lesbian action!" - Turbo6Girl
84FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

The performance coil replacements currently offered do not work.The have the same plug in but operate differently.I am no expert on electrical by any means,but they have different resistance and a different rating.I have put a whole set of the current accel coils in my car and got alot of misfires.It was not a fun expierience.They were installed correctly,and the car was put on a scope.There are 3 different coil part #'s thru Ford and I have crossed the mazda coil over to the one that fits the Lincoln LS and obviously the 24v Taurus.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Definetly keep me updated on the coils, I'll drop whoever a line. I've been looking at options for improving the ignition system. I know after reading 84FordMan's thread on the MSD box I was sold on going that route. Seems to be the only other flaw would be the coils.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Actually,the msd box might be the way to go with the factory coils for the time being.I will be offline for a few days since i am moving officially tomorrow and will not have internet til this weekend.So i will get some threads going ASAP after that.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

More than three different coil part numbers. I checked 2003 model years today (I checked the LS, Mustang GT, Mustang Cobra, Expedition, Town Car and Mazda6).

The Town Car, Expedition and Mustang GT all use the same ignition coils in 2003, however the Town Car uses the same coil boots as the Cobra.

The Mustang Cobra has it's own coil.

The LS 3.0L has it's own coil.

The LS 3.9L has it's own coil.

The Mazda6 3.0L has it's own coil.

I began to wonder where the difference was, why would Ford resort to so many retoolings of the same product, especially from a company that LOVES reusing old parts over and over again. So I checked coil boot numbers:

Mustang Cobra and Town Car, 2062-2
Mustang GT & Expedition, 2061-2
LS 3.0L, 2065-2
LS 3.9L, 2064-2
6 3.0L, 2063-2

It started the gears in my head a-turning when the Town Car uses different boots from the factory, however can use the same coil as the GT, which uses a different boot/spring setup. That tells me the windings and resistance are the same and the connectors are the same between the GT and Town Car.

So 5 different coil part numbers, 5 different boot/spring part numbers, yet some crossover. Yet the aftermarket performance only offers three coils to cover them all. So my question to the person who tried the Accel coils, did you try BOTH the 2V and the 4V coils? How about the 3V coil?

1994 Mazda B3000 SE
Daily driver

"In fact, we should have a threesome cuz I love me some crazy bitch lesbian action!" - Turbo6Girl
84FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.