Fuel filter 2005 Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to thetman Send a message via MSN to thetman Send a message via Yahoo to thetman

I would like to find out where the fuel filter is located on a 2005 Mazda 6. Also, are any special tools needed to remove and replace the filter?
thetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

The fuel filter is underneath the rear seats. You can access it from the inside of the car. The rear seat needs to be removed. The lower portion only (where your butt goes) I have not opened it but as I understand it there are speacial tools needed to remove it and install a new one. The gromet being the most important piece. A fuel filter for a 6i is about $150. The 6s is around $500

Good luck
atom44wat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

What $500 dollars for a damm fuel filter, and why is it under the seat, you should be able to access it from under the vehicle youd imagine. I mean thats where the fuel lines go.

-Mazdaspeed Short Throw Shifter
-CP-E Mafci
-CP-E Engine Mount
-Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust
-Kartboy Hangers
-30% Tint
06Mazda6s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ya sounds fishy doesn't it. The rear bench is only held on by 2 tabs near the base of the seat where it meets the carpet. You will see a black plate with an electrical cable going into once the seat is pulled. You will have to unscrew 4 screws and that will give you access to the filter.
atom44wat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That's because they decided to NOT have an external fuel filter from the fuel pump basket assembly. There are two filters, one being a little disc on the pickup of the fuel pump, which is a design they've had since the Contour was being produced and it is HIGHLY prone to clogging and killing the fuel pump. The second is an in-line filter contained within the basket assembly. This is why the price is so high, your paying for the fuel pump assembly, not the filter.

1994 Mazda B3000 SE
Daily driver

"In fact, we should have a threesome cuz I love me some crazy bitch lesbian action!" - Turbo6Girl
84FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
That's because they decided to NOT have an external fuel filter from the fuel pump basket assembly. There are two filters, one being a little disc on the pickup of the fuel pump, which is a design they've had since the Contour was being produced and it is HIGHLY prone to clogging and killing the fuel pump. The second is an in-line filter contained within the basket assembly. This is why the price is so high, your paying for the fuel pump assembly, not the filter.
[/b]
I've had this idle dipping problem where I'll be sitting there, the idle dips, and sometomes the car acts like it is going to shut off. I noticed the last time that this happened after I drove the car for about 25 miles with the low fuel light on, finally refilled it, and later that day it started doing this. I cleaned my MAF, and intake air filter a few weeks ago, and it got better for a few weeks. Do you think it is this fuel pump assembly that needs changing? I'd hate to spend between $250 and $500 for it, and this not be the issue. I found this fuel pupm here on-line. Is this the correct on:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=1
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Red face Necessary yet?

I recently got a 2003 6s 5M and I'm in the process of planning a major tuneup to make sure everything is ok or new as it has 105K. I'm doing everything I can: plugs, filter for oil&intake&tranny&cabin possibly, coolant drain/flush, pcv valve and hose, and I was wondering seeing as how its so expensive!! , idk if I want to replace the fuel filter since there are no problems. Can you tell me what a safe interval is for replacement and if it might have been replaced before under a normal warranty service interval visit before it ran out? Any other suggestions for the tuneup (cheap is better than easy for me) would be appreciated also
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280duo6 View Post
I recently got a 2003 6s 5M and I'm in the process of planning a major tuneup to make sure everything is ok or new as it has 105K. I'm doing everything I can: plugs, filter for oil&intake&tranny&cabin possibly, coolant drain/flush, pcv valve and hose, and I was wondering seeing as how its so expensive!! , idk if I want to replace the fuel filter since there are no problems. Can you tell me what a safe interval is for replacement and if it might have been replaced before under a normal warranty service interval visit before it ran out? Any other suggestions for the tuneup (cheap is better than easy for me) would be appreciated also
You only replace it if your having issues with it or it dies, other than that you just don't worry about it. I'd highly doubt it was ever replaced before unless the fuel pump died. Its not something that is changed at a defined service interval like when filters were inline.
2008 Phantom Blue Mica 3s Hatch - AT
, Stock
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

what marius said. You can however add an inline fuel filter and eliminate more contaminants if you wish to. This would be a replaceable filter.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.