Mazda 6 Forums banner

Caught car on fire!!! Every dash light on. HELP!

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Intrinity187 
#1 ·
i took a zippo lighter and made a hole from cup holder down to floor. dont ask.

now i have EVERY dash light on. DSC, traction control, air bag, ABS, etc

does this sound like a ground is issue???

im gonna snip the burnt wires and check fuses and post back.

pictures to come...:nerd:

#2 · (Edited)
Honestly, just burn it the rest of the way. In this case put it out of its misery with fire...

IIRC one of the main harness bundles goes right underneath the center console. Its likely that your main wiring harness is fried, and if there was power on while this happened then major shorts could have happened further causing damage. I seriously want to see pictures and know how this happened though...

Reactions: SonicNutrition
#3 ·
yeah i wish it just burnt all the way. it must have smothered itself out with the windows up.

i really cant say how it happened...

after it happened i only had airbag light flashing and traction control, dsc light on. it drove fine.

i then vacuumed the shit out, then it lit up like a christmas tree. the air bag light went solid, no speedo, abs, check engine and tps lights on to. it feels like its in limp mode now. no manaul shift mode either

i already got new console. going to install that, then prolly ship off to mazda to work on the spaghetti. if i can keep it under $500 ill be happy

#4 ·
Lol I think you hold the record for most interesting Mazda 6 incident.

Good luck on repairs hopefully its not too bad

#5 ·
Looks at thread.

Looks at signature.

#6 · (Edited)
picture really doesn't do it justice.

...sounds like a crack head issue

i think i shorted a power wire to ground and blew a power control circuit.
i hate electrical issues

Attachments

#7 ·
I'll be honest thay is going to be an expensive fix. @SonicNutrition can confirm but I think the harness are all one piece and not easily fixable. good luck.

#8 ·
follow up,

i know its no going to be a easy fix.... to fix it right.
i am sure the harness is one piece.

i can turn a wrench, im the first person to do 2v 4.6 to 5.4 in a new body fly-by-wire f150. it is the only one in exsistance. its on cardomain and youtube. also had a blown fox and 95 cobra.

anyway, i snipped some wires. some went to the aux and 12v outlet and some went to black control box i assume is for the airbags. then i went to the fuse box in cabin. second one i checked was blown. 5 amp for SAS?. swapped that out and bingo. half the lights went out. back to only traction control and dsc lights. the airbag lights out now but engine lights still on. its out of limp mode. got to get my reader and run codes.

so next step is to call junkyard and see if they can cut a chunk out of the main harness under cup holders. there is only like 6 more wires that run down to under drivers seat. should not be that bad to solder in. even if i leave it as is, i think i can live with no TC and driver seat airbags. so far im only 89.99 deep for the center console and its the upgraded shiney plastic one.

#11 ·
Hey, my car is great fun, more so than my old six, though I miss my old subwoofer.

Anyway, my point is, your signature, you need to put that image on photobucket or something. You're trying to embed a picture from your storage device and that doesn't work.

Good luck with your console fix.

#12 · (Edited)
O, face palm.
yeah it took me a while to figure that out.

edit: i was able to upload file right to this site.
maybe that will help some people that like the taste of lead paint.

secretly i really like mx-5's and want one, but i dont dare it say it out loud.

your a better man then me. nice car btw. in the right color.

#13 ·
so i got the console in. very easy.
still need seat cover and ebrake handle cover.

got haynes manual in. factory repair manual on disk in transit.
skimming through i found disclaimer about the tcs/dsc/abs system and wiring harness.

basically it says: do not repair the harness in any way b/c it may change resistance values and screw the whole system up. i should take a pic of disclaimer. i guess we will see what happens after i hack her up.

#14 ·
basically it says: do not repair the harness in any way b/c it may change resistance values and screw the whole system up. i should take a pic of disclaimer. i guess we will see what happens after i hack her up.
It probably wont work right. A lot of the car is dependent on can bus and very low voltages, there is a chance you could be fine but probably a greater chance for issues. I would recommend soldering with a good silver solder to try and minimize extra resistance. Good luck..

#16 ·
...you forgot crystal.0:)

actually i lit a cig, and never flipped the lid all the way down. i was trying to multitask and carry all kinds of crap in. i just got the zippo too.

incense?? what the hell you burning that for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.