Mazda 6 Forums banner

Hitachi-Warner K04-022-881

15K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  KevinK2 
#1 ·
Well I'm not sure whether anybody has ever verified the model of the Mazdaspeed 6 Turbocharger before, but I found I could see the identification name plate on the turbocharger by using a 1 million candle power flashlight( it was dark) and looking from the front of the engine, kind of under the straight snorkel piece of the CAI, back towards the big hose that goes straight down to the snorkel of the turbocharger, from the back of the I/C. You can see where the CAI hose attaches to the hub of the turbocharger ( where the impellers are, center of the snail, so to speak) and just underneath the hub is the identification name plate and is clearly visable to someone with good eyesight.........my son. He didn't have any idea what it was supposed to say, so I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet it's a K04-022-881 as that's what he read off it to me.

I was kind of hoping Mazda had used a little larger model............but oh well, we'll just have to make do with what we've got ...........HA HA HA ya just until we modify it, of course.

Anyway, I hope that is of some help. ;)

#4 ·
for those that get Sport Compact Car, the newest issue covers the speed3 and says it uses the same turbo as the speed6 (which we know)

"for a stockturbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak eshaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius."

goes on to say on pg 73, on ways to make it better....

"Since the engine came from teh 274bhp Mazdaspeed6, we know the turbo can handle a bit more boost, though it's approaching it's intended design limit. This is a cautionary not to you tuners: you can't simply add a boost controller and turn up the wich for more power. If you do, you run the risk of running lean and as well spinning the turbo faster (over-speed) than is safe or efficient and potentially destroying your engine...."

it also says the DISI system is being used on Begenholtz 1400hp drag car. i don't know how much Golden Eagle knows about the tuning side of the car. but they build the engines for him, so it might be worth shooting them an email (i'd actually call, as they don't do electronic stuff much) and seeing what they use on the system if you want big HP and worry about fuel.

just some reading tonight

#5 ·
for those that get Sport Compact Car, the newest issue covers the speed3 and says it uses the same turbo as the speed6 (which we know)

"for a stockturbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak eshaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius."

"Since the engine came from teh 274bhp Mazdaspeed6, we know the turbo can handle a bit more boost, though it's approaching it's intended design limit. This is a cautionary not to you tuners: you can't simply add a boost controller and turn up the wich for more power. If you do, you run the risk of running lean and as well spinning the turbo faster (over-speed) than is safe or efficient and potentially destroying your engine...."
it also says the DISI system is being used on Begenholtz 1400hp drag car. i don't know how much Golden Eagle knows about the tuning side of the car. but they build the engines for him, so it might be worth shooting them an email (i'd actually call, as they don't do electronic stuff much) and seeing what they use on the system if you want big HP and worry about fuel.
[/b]

They use a direct injection methanol system. Similar to a diesel (methanol) truck puller system. Our system is definitely not methanol compatible. But I'm not sure what they are using for a HP fuel pump, but I would like to get my hands on one.

#6 ·

[/b]
Interesting read, thanks man...

#7 ·
yeh it was posted while back. Its the same turbo used in audi TT 225hp model 1.8t....[/b]
not convinced yet. if the compressor wheel is 2.4" dia, its's like a K04 hybrid, perhaps with K26 compressor. the audi TT does not have a 60mm (2.4") compressor wheel.

From Car and Driver:

"In Mazda’s new direct-injection version of the MZR 2.3-liter inline-four, fuel is squirted at 1885 psi directly at the spark plug for better atomization and more thorough burning. Mazda wanted the engine to flare, rather than explode, with power, especially from 2000 rpm to 5500 rpm, so the Hitachi Warner turbo, with 2.4 inches of compressor diameter, is on the small side for rapid spooling"

#10 ·
Turbonetics T106 FTW.... LOL I'm a troll

#11 ·
i agree you never know, but this article is from the final proving grounds at laguna seca, where it's just mazda and SCC....so at least it's not just them getting it from other mags.

#12 ·

[/b]
That was a nice article. My ears perked up at "... of the car being used by Mazdaspeed Accessory Engineer Johnathan Butts as his development mule for a soon-to-be-released Mazdaspeed coilover kit." Perhaps some of these accessory ideas will spill over to the Speed6. We can hope.

#13 ·
Not sure if this will shed any light, but I had a '99 1.8T Passat awhile back (well, duh, around 1999!). That thing came with the super-pee pee K03 turbo. I upgraded to the K04 (similar to this one) and, when doing so, was told that the K04's limit was around 18lbs of boost, or around 285hp. At that point, the impeller shaft could/would start to wobble and, well, blades touching outer casing = no good. I soon outgrew the K04 in favor of a T06 Hybrid.

When I heard this car had a K04 in it (I just picked my 6 up yesterday) I was a little concerned with upgrades to advance boost levels. I have to agree that I think it's about at it's 'safe' limit....however, I can never leave anything alone and will be upgrading in a month or so. :)

#14 ·
Not sure if this will shed any light, but I had a '99 1.8T Passat awhile back (well, duh, around 1999!). That thing came with the super-pee pee K03 turbo. I upgraded to the K04 (similar to this one) and, when doing so, was told that the K04's limit was around 18lbs of boost, or around 285hp. At that point, the impeller shaft could/would start to wobble and, well, blades touching outer casing = no good. I soon outgrew the K04 in favor of a T06 Hybrid.

When I heard this car had a K04 in it (I just picked my 6 up yesterday) I was a little concerned with upgrades to advance boost levels. I have to agree that I think it's about at it's 'safe' limit....however, I can never leave anything alone and will be upgrading in a month or so. :)
[/b]
Maybe one of your early mods should be a boost controller to crank the boost up to around 16.5 - 17 pounds, then when a full-blown turbo swap is available you'll already have a controller for it.

Just a thought.

#15 ·
I've read SCC for years and, of all the car magazines' technical discussions, they are very typically right on the mark. Very reliable and always in the know.

For my previous car, same thing, test drives and first mods gave them enough tech data to recommend swapping out the factory exhaust manifold due to the risk of catastrophic engine failure...proved to be right about nine months later when Nissan issue a huge recall due to this problem.

#16 ·
So from you VW/Audi exowners, what options on compressor/exhaust wheels only or identical bolt patterns housings are there?

#17 ·
I'm not an x-vw/audi owner, but IIRC the K16 and K20 will fit. They can support 350 and 450 hp.

#18 ·
The VW came with the K03. The K04 was a direct fit. I don't remember if the K16 or K20 was a direct fit....it might have been for the transverse engines...the Passat was a longitudinal and I don't think it would fit. Not sure why....but I just went past the K04 and straight to a T06 Hybrid.

#19 ·
Hey, here is the compressor map for a K04. Says its a Borg Warner KKK K04 so I assume its similar if not the same to what we have in our cars.

#22 ·
The VW came with the K03. The K04 was a direct fit. I don't remember if the K16 or K20 was a direct fit....it might have been for the transverse engines...the Passat was a longitudinal and I don't think it would fit. Not sure why....but I just went past the K04 and straight to a T06 Hybrid.
[/b]

Hey Mr. Phalen, it's good to see another RCer.

What color did you get? Make the 1st mod a CAI, and or window tint.

We need to get a SOCAL meet going.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.