Mazda 6 Forums banner

Throttle lag/delay in 3.0V6 ATX - Jatco

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Final Impact 
#1 ·
I know that I have seen posts before about the throttle lag or delayed response with the 3.0L V6 and ATX with the Jatco transmission(2004). The problem is that mine seems to be getting worse i.e. more lag/dealy in the throttle than previously observed. The electronic throttle body is probably not adjustable but has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Maybe some sort of re-programming? Could it be a throttle body or a transmission problem? Thanks.

#3 ·
Agreed. I had mine flashed and haven't had an issue since.

#4 · (Edited)
Winner - Six year old Thread Revival!

Over on the Fusion Forum they say: This can be cured on Fords with this simple procedure.

Do we have some Guinea Pigs??? Mine is Presently behaving Properly so I don't know if it will help.

- From Key OFF position, tun to ON, but do NOT start OR engage starter.
- Slooooooooooowly and evenly press the pedal to the floor.
- Slooooooooooowly and evenly ease the pedal up at the same rate you pushed it down.
- Turn ignition off.

Go drive and see what happens. Some say it calibrates the throttle. If for some reason it makes anything worse, disconnect the battery for 5 min and press the brake pedal to allow everything to relearn. Of course reconnect the battery.

Obviously the 05's up have the AW 6speed trans so lets see what happens. If it could be that it goes wrong for someone. Lets hope not and I am not responsible for bad things to your car!

Scour the net, it appears to be happening to all kinds of cars, not just these V6. Even the Yoders are doing it!

#5 ·
Lol final you resurrected a 7 year old thread!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
FWIW: I did this to mine even tho its being OK these days. For some reason the lag varies with OCI - something to do with the VVT reaction time and oil pressure I suspect. Then Changing the Tranny fluid made it completely vanish.

But ya, excluding "months" and going with YYYY - 7 years ftw! lol Can't say I didn't use the search button!

#7 ·
Although mine wasn't misbehaving per say, doing the slow down, slow up to the throttle changed how it behaves. It seems interact with the trans in a more friendly many at all speeds. Granted its only been 25 miles, so I'll update when I have more to say.

#9 ·
Alright this is interesting. let discuss 3 areas: off idle from stop, manual shifts, freeway passing.

Off idle from stop:
Off idle take off; the car could and has at times had this hesitation thing, but its not the engine misfiring or running poorly its delay from input at the throttle to actual moving the vehicle. This has improved to point of not being detectable ever. Another thing associated with this is, taking off, having to let off the gas, and then reapply the gas it would do abit of shock thing to the drive train. This is gone and its fluent like an automatic should be.

Manual shifts: I do this in long descents so I don't ride the brakes forever and there is no change there. However, on the gas at or near WOT you previously had to shift at 3K because if you waited till 5k it would redline and go into fuel cut. IT NO LONGER DOES THAT! I can now shift at about 5.5 to 6K and it hammers 2nd w/out fuel cut or being buried into REDLINE! A very noticeable and BIG Change! This helped the other gear too but its not as obvious.

Freeway passing: Previously it didn't have enough feeling regarding engine response to push on the pedal and KNOW what get it would drop into. For example a 55mph you to slowly push on the gas and either get a gear drop of 1 or 4 (as in 2nd gear). Now I can push use the throttle to select a gear. Its no longer ALL OR NOTHING!

I'm surprised that such a simple thing affects the driveablity so much. If you have any of these issues - try the slow down, slow up throttle action. It seems to help the overall response of the throttle.

#11 ·
Let me add this; 07 Mazda 3, 2.3 54,000 miles had cold start issues. It would crank fine but not fire. I looked at the plugs, MAF and added Techron, so no actual changes other than fuel additive. Its been a week and it has not misbehaved since. Its a short run grocery getter so 54,000 is like 150,000 to some cars.
biggest change: the throttle behavior is more responsive.

Take it with a grain of salt for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.