Mazda 6 Forums banner

OCV leak

24K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Recently I noticed that there is a bit of leak coming from the Oil Control Valve (some call it Solenoid Valve). At first diagnose, a Mechanic advised me to just replace the seal which is sold separately and it's cheap. Did replace the seal and had to replace the valves cover's gasket as well. Turned out the leak is coming from the valve it self and I read somewhere else that it's due to the high pressure inside the engine which leads to these sort of issues. Fortunately, the leak is not that massive and no Check-Engine light has come on yet.

The question is, shall I leave it as it is and wait till it becomes worse or the Check-Engine light comes on, or shall I replace the OCV ASAP?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

#3 ·
Oil never belongs outside the engine. The sooner you fix it the better.

#6 ·
So I may have the same problem that you @Scooby had. 1. Is this the OCV? 2. Does this look like a slight leak to you all? I wiped everything down yesterday but today I'm seeing this. To me it looks like some oil is seeping up past the gasket.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

#10 ·
I haven't changed mine and it's been seeping a hair since I last posted about this a year ago. My oil level has never changed enough to warrant adding oil so I'm leaving it alone. Is yours actually leaking enough to need to add oil? Your engine would be a hot mess I would think.

#12 ·
I keep my engine bay very clean so that is how I noticed it. The dealer replaced the OCV valve the first time, but they rushed the job and didn't properly seal the valve cover. I had to take it back so they could redo the valve coverl. Two months later, the OCV was leaking again, only worse. So I went back a 3rd time and they replaced the valve cover, valve cover gasket and OCV. So far so good.....the valve cover had to be replaced because there is a seal that the OCV sits in and I think the guy that botched the job the first time screwed it up.

I think it's more common than people realize as many folks don't remove the engine cover often enough to notice.

#15 ·
Unbelievable....it's leaking again. This time from the top metal part. It's when I hit the upper RPM range. Usually above 4.5k. This is infuriating. Dealer replaced it once, then again due to not sealing the VC correctly so they redid the VC. Now it's leaking from the very top as shown in the photo below. I'm about to give up on it. LOL

Attachments

#18 ·
Does anyone have any suggetions on what I should do about this? Let it go? This is the 3rd time they tried to fix it. The only thing I can think of is they either never actually replaced the OCV valvethe second time around or the crank case vacuum pressure is not right due to a clogged PCV?

#19 ·
Sorry to hear that it's still leaking. I'd leave it alone at this point since it's such a small leak. My OCD kills me to see oil leaking, but I'll just wipe it down after every oil change.

I wonder how the newer 2.5T will leak at this same spot unless Mazda has addressed it somehow.

#23 ·
Mine is seeping out a little bit of oil in the exact same place as the other pictures in this thread are showing. I'm not going to worry about it though because it's such a small leak, it's not hurting anything. My personal philosophy on oil leaks is that if it's not making a puddle, then it's not worth the trouble.

#24 ·
Have the same problem 2015 Mazda 6. Mazda replaced OCV gasket and valve cover gasket due to oil leaking. Valve cover is fine after 5K miles but OVC is leaking again. I wiped oil down before I took picture but you can see where it puddles around. Small leak. Is this an easy complete replacement fix for DIY? Thx!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.