Mazda 6 Forums banner

2.3L to 2.5L Swap?

15K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  KOG2006 
#1 ·
Has it been done before? Ive only seen mazda3's swap over to the 2.5L

Reason I'm asking is because my motor just blew, and from what I've looked up between ford and mazda the 2.3L engines are garbage...

Will it mount up or would there have to be fabrication?

#2 ·
Not sure if you are still interested in doing a swap or not, but if so let me know if you need more info! I have a 2.5l swapped Mazda 6 at the moment and love every bit of it!

The ford fusion 2.5l shares the same block as the stock 2.3 from a mazda 6. One big difference is that obviously it is bored out to a 2.5l. Your transmission should bolt right up to the block. I have a 2007 with an ATX and I had no issues mating the two together. If you have a 2005-2007 mazda 6 I believe, The only thing you need is either a throttle body adapter or an intake manifold adapter. I went with a throttle body adapter so as I could run the 2.5 intake manifold because of the larger runners. If you have an older Mazda 6 2003-2005 then there are a few things that need to be swapped between the motors. Im not sure what all they are but I know one thing is that intake camshaft.

Hope I could help a bit!

#3 ·
Would this work for 08 mazda 6 2.3l, my engine had a slight rattle after warmed up and on low engine load but higher rpms and now it has a slight tick now so I know it’s going to go here soon, If so they have different 2.5 engines and I don’t know which one to order

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.