Too high engine oil consumption? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2008-2013) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.5L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Too high engine oil consumption?

Hi all, I purchased a Mazda 6 2010 I gt last month and I have put abt 2.9k on it( long distance trip between OH to NY) since it is last year model and I really don't know how long did the dealer kept it. I changed oil right after I got the car( abt 200 miles), full mob1 5w-20 in walmart
4.3 qt( the manual says 4.4 or 4.5, cant remember....) and on the inspection report, they told me it was half qt low.

and yesterday I did another oil change since I will drive to Chicago for my spring break. And I was told the oil level... 1 qt low. So it sounds like the engine took 0.7-1 qt oil on first 2.7k.... That is close to the high mileage Mazda 6!
I took the car to dealer. They said it is normal because the car was still in "break-in period" They said the new car usually takes around 1 qt engine oil every 3k. Actually I didn't really believe what they said. My gf has a new Mazda 3 2010 I touring and never had the similar problem. I called the dealer in other states and they also said that was normal and asked me "keep an eye on it". I returned to my dealer and asked them to do the multi point inspection. They didn't find any big leakage. They only found little "oil coat" and dirt on my k&n oil filter. I believe that is the engine oil on technician's hands when he put the filter on. So they wiped and tight the filter.
My rpm is around 3000 on 80 mph and 31 -34mpg on highway.
I searched online and i found it may because of engine pressure switch failure? So I just want to know if the dealer bs or not....

Thanks a lot!
Bmh1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Groans: 45
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to BigAlDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmh1234567 View Post
I returned to my dealer and asked them to do the multi point inspection. They didn't find any big leakage. They only found little "oil coat" and dirt on my k&n oil filter. I believe that is the engine oil on technician's hands when he put the filter on. So they wiped and tight the filter.
Was the filter loose? If it was a bit that may explain it.
Hard to say, break-in period? Maybe?
Keep an eye on it. Maybe you should change the PCV valve.
BigAlDJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BigAlDJ For This Useful Post:
Bmh1234567 (03-16-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlDJ View Post
Was the filter loose? If it was a bit that may explain it.
Hard to say, break-in period? Maybe?
Keep an eye on it. Maybe you should change the PCV valve.
Thanks for your reply
Last time, I used the oil filter provided from Walmart (I used the ones from them on my gf's 3...No problem on those)
I hope that is only because of the oil filter small leakage. As far as they swiped and tight the filter. It will be easy for us to observe if any new leakage occurs.
I really hope that's not about PCV valve!!! lol
Thanks for your reply again, have a good day.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

I mean last time I used Walmart's filter and this time I used K&N..
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
m3s

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

any time i drove any of my cars on the highway they tend to consume oil, 1/2 quart on a long 700 miles highway trip (75-100mph) was kinds normal, switch to a full synth with few hunderd miles on the car maybe debatable... 1/2 quart low seems OK but 1 quart is kinda low.

Keep en eye on it, my CX9 took almost a quart in 1500 miles of mostly highway driving and very cold morning starts (0 F few mornings).... than I got back to warm Florida and driving no faster than 75-80miles and engine consumed barely 1/2 in 4k miles....

Keep en eye on it every 1000 miles , top off if needed , my wife's 2.5 liter mazda 3 likes to keep the oil at around 3/4 full on the dip stick....

If it gets worse or does not improve adress with dealer
m3s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to m3s For This Useful Post:
Bmh1234567 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3s View Post
any time i drove any of my cars on the highway they tend to consume oil, 1/2 quart on a long 700 miles highway trip (75-100mph) was kinds normal, switch to a full synth with few hunderd miles on the car maybe debatable... 1/2 quart low seems OK but 1 quart is kinda low.

Keep en eye on it, my CX9 took almost a quart in 1500 miles of mostly highway driving and very cold morning starts (0 F few mornings).... than I got back to warm Florida and driving no faster than 75-80miles and engine consumed barely 1/2 in 4k miles....

Keep en eye on it every 1000 miles , top off if needed , my wife's 2.5 liter mazda 3 likes to keep the oil at around 3/4 full on the dip stick....

If it gets worse or does not improve adress with dealer
Thanks for your reply I am really confused on what dealer said about "break-in period". I thought new generation car doesn't need that lol
Old 03-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

1000-1500 is within mazda spec.

No biggie to them. Just keep an eye on it as things go.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to flipper66 For This Useful Post:
Bmh1234567 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmh1234567 View Post
Hi all, I purchased a Mazda 6 2010 I gt last month and I have put abt 2.9k on it( long distance trip between OH to NY) since it is last year model and I really don't know how long did the dealer kept it. I changed oil right after I got the car( abt 200 miles), full mob1 5w-20 in walmart
4.3 qt( the manual says 4.4 or 4.5, cant remember....) and on the inspection report, they told me it was half qt low.

and yesterday I did another oil change since I will drive to Chicago for my spring break. And I was told the oil level... 1 qt low. So it sounds like the engine took 0.7-1 qt oil on first 2.7k.... That is close to the high mileage Mazda 6!
I took the car to dealer. They said it is normal because the car was still in "break-in period" They said the new car usually takes around 1 qt engine oil every 3k. Actually I didn't really believe what they said. My gf has a new Mazda 3 2010 I touring and never had the similar problem. I called the dealer in other states and they also said that was normal and asked me "keep an eye on it". I returned to my dealer and asked them to do the multi point inspection. They didn't find any big leakage. They only found little "oil coat" and dirt on my k&n oil filter. I believe that is the engine oil on technician's hands when he put the filter on. So they wiped and tight the filter.
My rpm is around 3000 on 80 mph and 31 -34mpg on highway.
I searched online and i found it may because of engine pressure switch failure? So I just want to know if the dealer bs or not....

Thanks a lot!
It sounds like you have not checked the oil levels yourself, but rather had the oil change location tell you the oil is low. I would recommend checking the oil level yourself right after you get an oil change done, to see where the level is on the dipstick and to be 100% sure it was filled to the proper level (i dont trust walmart mechanics for even the simplest of things). Then, periodically check the levels every couple weeks or so. Finally, right before you take the car in for another oil change, check the level yourself. You will be able to see yourself if the car actually consumed oil or if it was human error. Make sure you check your oil under consistent conditions, i.e. flat surface, allow the engine to cool down a little so all the oil drains back into the pan, etc.
Bmh1234567 (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper66 View Post
1000-1500 is within mazda spec.

No biggie to them. Just keep an eye on it as things go.
Yeah......I think you are right.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztrojans12 View Post
It sounds like you have not checked the oil levels yourself, but rather had the oil change location tell you the oil is low. I would recommend checking the oil level yourself right after you get an oil change done, to see where the level is on the dipstick and to be 100% sure it was filled to the proper level (i dont trust walmart mechanics for even the simplest of things). Then, periodically check the levels every couple weeks or so. Finally, right before you take the car in for another oil change, check the level yourself. You will be able to see yourself if the car actually consumed oil or if it was human error. Make sure you check your oil under consistent conditions, i.e. flat surface, allow the engine to cool down a little so all the oil drains back into the pan, etc.
Yeah....It would be better if I did as you said. Next time I will check the level periodically. It is very possible that is due to Walmart's fault not mazda engine's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.