User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the new 2.5l engines have canister oil filters or spin-on?
I'm curious if Mazda went back to spin-on, since there were so many issues with the 2.3 canisters being cracked by crap mechanics, etc.

2003 Mazda 6i ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (kikboxr1 @ Feb 7 2009, 08:55 PM)
Quote:
I'm curious if Mazda went back to spin-on, since there were so many issues with the 2.3 canisters being cracked by crap mechanics, etc.[/b]

I'm getting the oil changed Fri.I'll let you know...............

2009 Onyx GT-I4
Loaded except Navi
Tint (35% all around)
Remote Start

2005 GS-V6 (traded in)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Learners License

QUOTE (kikboxr1 @ Feb 7 2009, 05:55 PM)
Quote:
I'm curious if Mazda went back to spin-on, since there were so many issues with the 2.3 canisters being cracked by crap mechanics, etc.[/b]
It's a canister, but easier to get to than the wife's M5.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Learners License

I've no experience with Mazda's canister filter on my 2.5L 4 cyl. , and haven't yet crawled under to examine it. Before I change the filter, does anyone have thoughts about what to look for / be careful of etc.??

Thanks

'09 Mazda6 i Touring, Kona Blue Mica, 5 spd. auto, convenience pkg.

'08 Mazda Miata MX5, GT, True Red, 6 spd. manual, PRHT, Suspension & Premium pkgs, debadged, Exgel knee pad, AuxMod

'05 Red, Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS

'01 Inferno Red, PT Cruiser, Eibachs/Konis

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 PM
6er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
eh. the 3.7 V6 has a easy to get to spin off. I changed the oil w/o jacking the car or lifting it in anyway

2009 Mazda 6s Touring - Onyx
2009 Toyota Corolla S - Classic Silver Metallic (Wife's Car)
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ - White & Modified
1967 Firebird 400 - 541 V8, Pro-Touring
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Learners License

QUOTE (Scorpion @ Apr 8 2009, 12:07 AM)
Quote:
I've no experience with Mazda's canister filter on my 2.5L 4 cyl. , and haven't yet crawled under to examine it. Before I change the filter, does anyone have thoughts about what to look for / be careful of etc.??

Thanks[/b]
The drain plug takes a 13mm wrench/socket. The filter is the spin off and not a can. The wrench can be found here - http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-wrench.html. I used the strap type wrench, which was awkward, but did work. There is a 'plug' at the base of the spin off that can be opened with an allen/hex wrench. When you get the black spin off 'cap' completely off, be prepared for a splash of oil to come with it. According to the manual, the 2.5 takes 5.3 quarts of oil when the filter is also changed. I put in 5 quarts and that is right at the top of the upper line on the dipstick and that was after running the engine to circulate the oil.

2009 Mazda6 i GT, Moonroof & Bose Pkg
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Learners License

What is the difference between a cartridge filter and a spin off?

Thanks

Nolig
2009 Mazda6 SV
1994 MX-3 BPT
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
QUOTE (Nolig 6 09 @ Apr 16 2009, 01:35 PM)
Quote:
What is the difference between a cartridge filter and a spin off?

Thanks[/b]

Spin on filter is what you're probably used to seeing: It (the entire filtering apparatus) literally spins on and off and is 1 complete piece....remove and replace the entire unit. Cartridge is a little different: you remove the outer casing (which is reused indefinitely) and instead replace the inner filter cartridge with each oil change.

Problem with doing the cartridge yourself is you need a special tool to do it...where a spin on usually just needs a strap wrench or something similar

2003 Performance White 6s MTX, CPE CAI MAF-CI, Xtec 5000K HIDs, Superwhite LEDs, TB bypass, EGR mod, Iridium NGKs, 25% tint, clear sidemarkers w/ turn signal mod, brakelight mod, SU MM, MazdaSpeed Short Throw Shifter, Custom Exhaust: 12" glass pak resonator and axle-back Str8s, Flat Black painted bezels, Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Fidanza Flywheel, ceramic pads, Redline MT-90, Mobil-1 0W-20 and Mobil-1 Mercon V PS fluid
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Learners License

I'm confused - I admit that's not always hard to do... But, when I look in several places / catalogs all I find is a reference to a replacement cartridge, Not the entire spin-off assembly like everything else I've owned since the late 50s.

I just went out and put it on the ramps, then rolled underneath w/ the creeper. If I'm looking in the right place, that Ain't no "spin off"! When looking up through the large hole in the splash shield, I see a black composit "cap" that has a white metal plug in the center. This is on a metal housing. Both the plug and "cap" have torque specs. on them.

So... Am I looking in the right place?

If I am looking in the right place, anyone out there w/ experience w/ this type filter on this engine?

Thanks

'09 Mazda6 i Touring, Kona Blue Mica, 5 spd. auto, convenience pkg.

'08 Mazda Miata MX5, GT, True Red, 6 spd. manual, PRHT, Suspension & Premium pkgs, debadged, Exgel knee pad, AuxMod

'05 Red, Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS

'01 Inferno Red, PT Cruiser, Eibachs/Konis

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Learners License

QUOTE (Scorpion @ Apr 16 2009, 07:14 PM)
Quote:
I'm confused - I admit that's not always hard to do... But, when I look in several places / catalogs all I find is a reference to a replacement cartridge, Not the entire spin-off assembly like everything else I've owned since the late 50s.

I just went out and put it on the ramps, then rolled underneath w/ the creeper. If I'm looking in the right place, that Ain't no "spin off"! When looking up through the large hole in the splash shield, I see a black composit "cap" that has a white metal plug in the center. This is on a metal housing. Both the plug and "cap" have torque specs. on them.

So... Am I looking in the right place?

If I am looking in the right place, anyone out there w/ experience w/ this type filter on this engine?

Thanks[/b]
Yes, that is the housing for the cartridge type filter. The 'white metal plug in the center' is a drain plug. That allows you to drain some of the oil out of the filter area so you don't have so much spill out when you remove the 'black composite cap'. The black composite cap can be removed with this part - http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-wrench.html. The filter is a paper type cartridge cylinder. There is a 'post' inside the black composite cap that the cartridge filter fits over. I got the filter at NAPA - NAPA Gold 7203. It is the same filter that is used in the 2.3L engine in the Mazda3. This is also my first experience with the cartridge filter and once you get the black cap off, you'll see that it is pretty simple stuff. I'll try to take some pics next time I do an oil change.

2009 Mazda6 i GT, Moonroof & Bose Pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page