RPM drops and dash lights come on - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default RPM drops and dash lights come on

When shifting the car occasionally from park into drive, the RPM will drop and the lights on the dash will come on and the car feels like it has no power. It's a 2007 2.3L Mazda 6. Also sometimes this happens at stop signs and seems to be an issue more when the engine is cold. It has happened a few times in the last few days, any thoughts on what I could do to check this out to see what is going on. The check engine light is not on. The car has about 90k miles on it and I replaced the spark plugs at around 75k. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App
K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
elemento_74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts

^+1. Sounds like either a vacuum leak or maybe old ignition coils if not a vacuum leak since you said you changed your plugs already. Any flashing CEL's?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

MSDS Headers/Ported Intake Manifolds + 1/2" Spacer/Injen CAI/3.7L OTB/TGNY TB Spacer/Magnaflow CBE/AWR 88 Mounts/Rotora H2 Ceramic Brakes//CF Evo Hood,Grill,Eyelids,Window Visors,Mirror Covers/CAR-LED Tails/35W 5000k HIDs/55W 6000k Integrated Fogs/LED Fogs/1000w Xplōd Amp/Two 800w 12" Xplōd Subs/15% Tints/18x8.5 +50 Kazera "CF" Rims/Hankook Ventus Evo 245/40/18

Future Mods:Powermod Tuner/Custom DoubleDin/BC Coils
ctmazda is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't seen any check engine light codes. I don't have a scan tool and the CEL is not on.

Anyway I can check to see if there are codes without a scan tool?

Also what is the best way to check for Vacuum leaks? Are there any hoses that I should pay particular attention to? Is there a schematic of the vacuum system so I know I don't miss anything?

Thanks again for the quick responses, this is very useful.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

If the CEL never came up you shouldn't have any codes to read,and yes,you do need a scan tool to read any codes,autozone or advance auto parts can read the codes for free.
There are a couple of videos on YouTube on how to check for vacuum leaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App
K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
elemento_74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)

Its V6 cousin gets some of the idle air through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. Engines that don't receive regularly schedule Oil changes can gum up this simple check valve and have idle variation issues. As best I tell the L3/2.3 is a little different but it is service item that should be changed at scheduled maintenance intervals.

I personally run Techron Fuel cleaner at least 3 x year to reduce the deposits on the injectors and rest of the intake track. It can't hurt and also keep in mind that winter temperature changes tend to create more condensation in fuel tanks and fuel cells. Some of these products will help keep the moisture in suspension in the fuel tank so it gets burned instead of resting at the tanks bottom to sicken your car with unburnable content.

Can someone else chim in on the 2.3 PCV? Is it connected between the TB and the cylinder heads intake track?

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

The PCV is connected under neath the intake manifold. You need to remove the intake manifold to access it which is ~two hours worth of work if you know how to use simple tools. There is a write up in the 2.3 how to sticky.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)

The AJ V6 3.0 is easy to follow but I don't have schematic of the L3.

This shows why the metering orifice diameter of the PCV is important and how sludge build up internal to that orifice can change the idle making the ECM have to perform corrections idle control air at the TB.

Fresh air is available at the air filter. When the throttle is closed at the TB, the engine is running and idling burning its own fumes from the crankcase.

Air in at air filter, into the Red hose on top. Is sucked into one valve cover and through the crankcase and out the other valve cover BEHIND the throttle plates and back into the intake (blue). Again - for all those who wish to blame the PCV valve for oil consumption, NOT ITS FAULT! An engine that is poorly maintained and has blow-by past the piston rings will burn and consume its own oil. If anything - that valve slows it down.

You can also see why the accordion hose fills with oil. The more blow by an engine has, the greater the odds are that it builds MORE pressure than the PCV system can allow into the intake track so littlerally builds up in the intake ahead of the TB.

Can someone find an illustration like this for the L3?
Attached Thumbnails
RPM drops and dash lights come on-m6.aj.pcv.jpg  

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here: FSM, MIL/CEL codes, P030X solved, Links to V6 threads
Final Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.