Serious 2005 Mazda6 Engine Issue - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Serious 2005 Mazda6 Engine Issue

Hi all.

I just wanted to get some feedback for what I'm seeing is an increasing issue online.

About 5 weeks ago my Mazda6 started to tick from the engine. This was happening in idle and the tick increased to sound like popcorn at higher revs. To my knowledge it sounded metalic or plastic (like a valve) and not a belt or chain issue. I checked the oil and found that it was almost bone dry after only being filled 4 weeks previous.

I did some research and found that there were a lot of other 6's with the same issue that guys had been reporting.

I took the car to my regular mechanic who flushed every valve and crossed checked every inlet and couldn't find the issue. He changed the oil to be double sure and still it didn't resolve the tick. It didn't seem to be a valve.

I then took my car to a Mazda service centre who had the car for one day and diagnosed it a timing chain issue. To me it didn't seem the case as it didn't relate to the oil issue but I put my faith in their informed judgement and went ahead with the AU$2300 to get the entire chain and mechanisms replaced. A few day ago they called to inform me that the chain had been replaced though the tick was still there. The manager there told me that to solve this I need an engine replacement which will set me back AU$6600.

So this is where it gets interesting. My car is only 7 years old and has only done 100,00kms. It's a Luxury Sports model and is immaculate; complete service history, detailed fortnightly and garanged. I treat is so well, so how could I warrent an entire engine replacement? I've done all I can as to owner to maintain it mechanically so this issue must me a technical fault in the engine design.

I've told Mazda servicing that I'll be taking this issue up with Mazda Australia as this is an unjust resolution and undeserving considering the state of my car.

What I'm asking is if anyone else has had a similar issue. Do you know what it could be or what's caused it? Do you believe that it needs a complete engine replacement? Has anyone raised this with Mazda and had success?

Thanks.
AJ_MAZDA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Groans: 16
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you were that low on oil you probably spun a bearing.

tapatalking.. err wait.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2008. Had a spun rod bearing pretty exactly at 100K miles.
The oil level was on the lower end of what it should be. Still not sure why it was starving for oil. However The reason why they wanna replace the whole engine is that they do not make any spare parts for that motor. Out of the dealership you can not get a new crank or over size pistons and so on. All they offer is a long block. Any spare parts need to be pieced together with aftermarket parts.
I got me a used engine swapped my head on (that I had reworked at the machine shop) and used the block, crank and piston/rod assembly. All the other parts I replaced with new parts. Worked well for me and was way less then $6600.
Furytom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Furytom For This Useful Post:
AJ_MAZDA6 (11-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.