locked steering wheel - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default locked steering wheel

lets me start off with I have no idea where this should really be posted at..
Ok my girls 2004 6i hatchback, 2.3L, tiptronic auto has been recently having the steering wheel lock constantly. You can literally pull straight into a parking spot, shut the car off without messing with the wheel and it lock up. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem but its getting to the point where you have to fight the steering wheel to get it to unlock.
This isn’t the normal turn the wheel one way and hold to turn to key to unlock issue. This is really firm and pretty much nearly takes both hands to turn the wheel. When this first started happening it was fairly easy like normal to unlock but as time progresses. The wheel is getting harder and harder to unlock.
Anyone have any ides on what this is and how to go about fixing it?
StealthWyvern2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

hmm. so the wheel isn't fully turned when it locks up?

Blacked out emblems, 35w 6000k HIDs, 2 MTX Terminator 12's, 1200w Kenwood Class D mono amp, Painted headlight internals, Megan Racing M-Spec II muffler, 19" Stance SC6 wrapped in 225/35/19 Federal 595s, H&R Lowering springs, red tinted tails, red interior led swap, rising sun engine cover, red calipers;

Soon to come
;
CS Intake, vinyl roof, tinted windows, D2 coils, vinyl wrap, spectrum silver wheels, fogs;

Kware22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 42

How much fluid is in your power steering reservoir? Check that first. If the power steering pump is dead, it would make the steering extremely heavy, especially at low speeds. Check fluid level first, then report back.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Thanked 3,006 Times in 1,951 Posts
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts

Ignition switch assembly slides into the collar around the steering column. Between the switch and the column is a bolt that locks the wheel/column into place when the key is removed. Not dissimilar from a dead bolt on a door.

Sounds like that locking assembly has gotten dirty and is sticking, or may even have return spring issues.

When you turn the key in the ignition switch, a space opens for that bolt to be pulled back by a return spring. If is dirty/gritty, or if return spring is not correct or borked, then the bolt will not behave.

The problem will likely continue to get worse.

It's not overly complex to dissassemble & clean if you've done ignition switch work before, but if you haven't ever done anything like that before, or are not mechanically inclined, I suggest taking it to a locksmith and letting them have at it.

Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop

HTP 3.5"; BNRs3v1; MAC EBCS; CXR fmic; 3 BAR; GFB Respons; VTCS Delete; JBR TIG;
XS Power ExMani; M2 DP; Custom Magnaflow exhaust; Luk Clutch & Fidanza FW;
KMD; CPE SafeSeals; MD OCC; K2 & JBR EGR Delete;

Bilstein & Mazdaspeed springs; SPC's; WL RSB; Steeda F&R Adj End Links;
CPe xFlex RMM; Corksport TMM Inserts; Dread & Jugg diff mounts; EBC Yellow's &
Carbotech XP08's; Racing Brake SS brake & clutch lines

Dynojet SAE corrected 420/395
TiGraySpeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
StealthWyvern2 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGraySpeed6 View Post
Ignition switch assembly slides into the collar around the steering column. Between the switch and the column is a bolt that locks the wheel/column into place when the key is removed. Not dissimilar from a dead bolt on a door.

Sounds like that locking assembly has gotten dirty and is sticking, or may even have return spring issues.

When you turn the key in the ignition switch, a space opens for that bolt to be pulled back by a return spring. If is dirty/gritty, or if return spring is not correct or borked, then the bolt will not behave.

The problem will likely continue to get worse.

It's not overly complex to dissassemble & clean if you've done ignition switch work before, but if you haven't ever done anything like that before, or are not mechanically inclined, I suggest taking it to a locksmith and letting them have at it.

Thanks, Ill have to give that a look when i get some time to tear into it. That sounds like a more then reasonable issue. I was thinking it was something in the colum more then likely as you can come to a complete stop in the middle of the road, shut the car off, and have the same issue as if you turned the wheel to lock it.

The car steers fine even at low speeds and doesnt have a power steering issue nor leaks fluid, the fluid level is also fine, and it doesnt moan when turning the wheel.
StealthWyvern2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.