Hesitation on Acceleration - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on Acceleration

Hi I have a 2004 mazda 6 has 112k miles on it just got done replacing engine and I am having issues when accelerating when its below 2k rpm it has a hesitation when I step on the gas. its not throwing any codes and the idle sounds a little off. when i start it its at 1.2-1.5k when I step on the gas it will drop to 800-900 rpm and bounce back and forth. I have changed plugs and wires the guy that replaced the motor was a friend of a friends and might have messed with the timing Any suggestions?
Kezumel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

sounds like a vac issue.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Groans: 1

Mannn. Iv got just about the same thing. Is it a MTX? Below 2k it feels like its bogged down. Iv checked for leaks and what not and still the same. I may have missed something though... Ive done plugs, cleaned MAF, new battery(mine tested bad) and new air filter. Next is wires. Any suggestions for wires/whats wrong with my car anyone??
shawnu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

its a 2004 mazda 6 2.3l I have done the wires plugs cleaned the Maf and checked for vacum leaks. Im taking the engine back to the junk yard and getting a rebuilt motor hoping that fixes the problem.
Kezumel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Do you have the AC on? That sucks up some horses and causes a slight hesitation upon acceleration.
Warmacblu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Hi, I bought an 04 mazda 6 IS 5-door in December and I noticed it had some acceleration problems and kinda felt like it was lugging at Lower speeds! Read several forums and ally of ppl said the throttle body, but what I tried, was replacing the 2 cam-shaft position sensors( about $35 for both and takes literally 10 mins to change yourself)! Car now runs amazing and gained about 7 mpg's! Try this and let me know if it helps please!
Bradnc9461 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Groans: 1

Where did you get the sensors? And could you put up a pic of where they are located? Now i remember A guy at autozone was tellin me something about that. I havent been gettin the greatest mpg either. Thatd be awesome if that 35 dollars does the trick.
shawnu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

actually mine is the 3.0, but im certain they are in the similer location, inline engine, so they would be on your left if youre facing the engine, one on the front cam and one on the rear, if you google your make and model and search for cam position sensor for ex. 2004 mazda 6 2.3 or 3.0, it'll show you where to find them. Nobody carries them, but they can get them overnight. Autozone actually showed me the location on the car, and which one i needed. If you stop by there, you can get your part in a day or so, and get it changed out in no time.. Very Very simple to change, one bolt and one wiring plug. i didn't have to remove any covers at all to get to.. Let me know if this helps you.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

throwing parts at it like cam sensors hoping for something good sounds like an expensive proposition.

The cam sensor on the 2.3L is on the drivers side forward on the valve cover under the engine cover
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Default cam sensor location!!

Hesitation on Acceleration-cam-sensor.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to Bradnc9461 For This Useful Post:
e4w (04-13-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.