CEL & Problem starting after fueling - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CEL & Problem starting after fueling

I have a 2007 Mazda 6. I have had problems with the CEL coming on. This has been going on for quite a while now. I took it to Autozone and had them run the codes and two of them were coming up, P2187 was one of them. I don't recall the other one.

The CEL would come on after filling up, but nothing seemed odd with the car starting.

The gas cap has been replaced and the MAF sensor has been cleaned.

Over time, the issue has persisted with the CEL. Now, when I refuel the car, the car won't start, I have to pump the gas to get it to start. It finally starts and idles very rough, but after getting it going, it runs just fine. It starts fine on any given day, runs fine, no problems there.

While trying to troubleshoot, we started the car, took the gas cap off, no change in idle. Then, with the gas cap still off, there was a vacuum hose that connects on the front of the engine (it is a red clip/connector) that appeared to be loose. We pulled back on that connection and the car started idling rough again. It appeared that the part was put on incorrectly - we took it off and put it back on again.

Then, reset the CEL and it was okay for a day. Then it came back on.

The car is out of warranty, of course, and no one can help me with the problem without taking it to the dealer and letting them spend the day with it. It's VERY inconvenient for us, since we are 60 mi away from the dealer. The logical and cost effective thing to do would be to replace that connector/vaccum line and see if that resolves the problem. If not, then I don't know what to do next, without having to go to the mechanic.

Any thoughts or similar issues? I have searched the forums and a few things have come up that it might be, but nothing is definite.

Your help would be appreciated!!
sumjrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Water in the fuel tank? Possibility
nijaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

One of those CELs could be from the gas cap.
There is a sensor there to detect fuel vapor leaks. It happened to me the first time I filled up the car. Took it to the dealership and they told me I need to make the gas cap click at least 3 times.

As for the rough idle, can you get pictures of that vacuum hose?
Lebult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Here is a pic of the hose and connector. It appears to come off the purge selenoid valve. The other code that is being thrown is P0455. I am leaning towards the purge selenoid valve replacement, however, it could be anything with the fuel pump or it's components. Any other thoughts?

CEL & Problem starting after fueling-2010-04-16-16.43.23.jpg
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

I've replaced the gas cap also, and always "overclick" when I refuel.
: )
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ro4fd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumjrt View Post
Now, when I refuel the car, the car won't start, I have to pump the gas to get it to start. It finally starts and idles very rough, but after getting it going, it runs just fine. It starts fine on any given day, runs fine, no problems there.
based on ^^^^^ alone........ i replaced the purge selenoid valve and mine was fixed. The only time it gave me problems was the first start after fill up. I also had the cel as well.
ro4fd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Hey, I was just wondering if you ever figured out and fixed what was wrong with your car. I also have a 2007 mazda 6, and have been having this exact problem for over a year. I replace the fuel cap at one point and the problem went a way for a few months, but its back and exactly the same. I'm so frustrated. Any help would be great! Thanks.
amj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

got this off another forum guy had the same code. "the specific problem is that the LTFT is to high(rich) at idle. The LTFT too high is caused by the fuel mixture reading too lean on the WBO2 sensor and the ECU is compensating. The too lean condition can be caused by any number of air leak locations after the MAF sensor. You must locate and fix the leak... "
Redefined is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Mazda 6 - same problem after fill-up & CEL

I have had the same problem with my 2007 Mazda6. First the CEL came on...I went to Autozone to get it checked, and they suggested I tighten gas cap, then upon my request they reset the CEL (no cost)... months went by and then problems starting/running car just after filling it (I thought it was the gas). The CEL came on, and I've had problems two more times starting the car after filling it (at different stations). Mazda wanted $100 to check it, so I thought I'd check online first! Lots of similar problems on the Mazda3 forum came up, and the solution was always the Purge Solenoid valve needing replaced. So that's my next step (after checking my manual to see if this should be covered under Emissions warranty). On the Mazda3 forum someone mentioned buying one for $70 online at Autotownmazda.com... but I'll look around first. The explanation made sense: When the valve is stuck open, and you fill your car, fuel vapors are pushed into the intake manifold causing the car to act flooded.

Ok, so today I went to the library to check out the online Chiltons and find out where this solenoid valve is... they showed it mounted on the firewall behind the engine. But that's not where it is on my 2.3 liter 4 cyl engine, it's right beside the battery. I picked up a solenoid valve for $41 + tax at my local Mazda dealer (PN L3P9-18-740B) and had it on in under 10 minutes. I tried blowing through the new valve before installing it, and couldn't (it was closed), but I was able to blow right through the old valve after taking it off (stuck open, just as expected). I had taken the ground cable off the battery before starting, I touched it to the positive terminal to ground out the system and reset the CEL. Reconnected the ground cable, started the engine... no CEL! (of course I have to reset my clock and radio stations now). I won't know for sure it this was the only emission problem, but it was most likely the problem causing the difficulty starting the engine after fill-ups!

Last edited by Crash; 08-02-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Updated after replacing Solenoid Valve
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Default Same Problem

So, I have the same problem with my 2007 Mazda 6. The CEL is on and I have to flood it to start at the pump if I fill it up, after that it runs great till I get gas again. The problem is I just moved to California and I have to get a smog check and it will not pass with the CEL on. I have to get this fixed. I am taking it to a mechanic on Monday or Tuesday, any suggestions? Did anyone get this fixed with just replacing the solenoid valve? Thank for any help.
ldunparnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.