Variable Valve Timing = VTEC??? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Variable Valve Timing = VTEC???

Does the mazda vvt work the same way like the vtec?? and is it possible to retard it with an a vtec controller??? or is it just only by programming the ecu....anyone got tips, ideas, bitches, complaints, anything...please post!!!
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

lot better info if you google how it works, or the mzr engine in general, but...

no, it's not vtec, as vtec uses different cam lobes. vvt on our cars is 1) only on the intake cam 2) is more like adjusting an adjustable cam gear (guessing your a honda guy and know what those are) +/- 30* on the fly.

it does help keep a more linear powerband more than anything, and far less significant in the car when it happens then a vtec crossover point.
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MrTea For This Useful Post:
Spazdog (03-21-2010)
Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda

Sorry, but this needs to be posted.

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD
Egierda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTea View Post
lot better info if you google how it works, or the mzr engine in general, but...

no, it's not vtec, as vtec uses different cam lobes. vvt on our cars is 1) only on the intake cam 2) is more like adjusting an adjustable cam gear (guessing your a honda guy and know what those are) +/- 30* on the fly.

it does help keep a more linear powerband more than anything, and far less significant in the car when it happens then a vtec crossover point.
Oh okay that was sorta where my thought process was going. So would upgrading the cam to just a higher lift and longer open duration profile help with power across the band and rpm range??

ANd no im not a honda guy lol. used to have a 94 gsr integra but not anymore man. i have a 6i atx trying to boost it.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egierda View Post
Sorry, but this needs to be posted.

this is hilarious lmfao!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

if you are trying to "boost it" like FI, there is no point in looking at cams. you'll get enough boost to be problems elsewhere in the car before you start hunting for more power.

there are no cams for the car yet for the most part, some have gone with a complete aftermarket ecu and used the options available for the focus Duratec which mean changing cam triggers as they are completely different. others have talked about regrinds, but again, needed full ecu control to really get the most from a cam.

and yes, this is a funny thread, as all this has been covered before and we all just like vtec talk.
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MrTea For This Useful Post:
Business (03-21-2010)
Old 03-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Business

Glad I don't have to type all this stuff up and Tea is here to do it instead, haha.

Now rocking a 91 Miata
Business is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

everyone loves vtec ahaha

please correct me if im dreaming, but, one day I gave it a hit in a tunnel and could have sworn I heard the VVT kicking in. It was somewhere around 2100-3000RPM and that seems to be the range that the car also picks up alot more power.

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
ttshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 27 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Egierda

You likely heard the car go into open loop. The exhaust note changes and the car seem to get a bit more ooooomph. That happens up around 3-4k.

04' 6s MTX sedan
- SOLD
Egierda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
everyone loves vtec ahaha

please correct me if im dreaming, but, one day I gave it a hit in a tunnel and could have sworn I heard the VVT kicking in. It was somewhere around 2100-3000RPM and that seems to be the range that the car also picks up alot more power.
your right - VTEC / VVTI both relate to variable intake depending on revs. Thing your on the money 3000rpm when valve intake changes.

The mazda 3 had standard DOHC til 2006, then got VVTI which increased power and economy.
nixon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.