How to : PCV Valve removal - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright so after dealing with this yesterday and this morning I realized i want to punch the guy in the face who decided where the PCV valve goes. Any ways here are a series of pictures of what to do as far as removal of the actual valve and the easiest way I could do it.

Step 1:

First go here for removal of the manifold:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...=113831&hl=

Step2 :

You will see a pic of the engine bay with manifold removed. Second picture will show you the actual PCV valve. Third pic will show you what i used to pry the retaining clip off. It is a really small and slim flat head from an eye glasses kit.

Continued on next post !
Attached Thumbnails
How to : PCV Valve removal-engine.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-pcv_valve.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-really_small_and_slim_flat_head.jpg  
2004 Lapis Blue M6i ATX :F2 Headers, Magnaflow Cat & Muffs, F2 BSD, B&M tranny cooler, VF Eng mount, AWR Trans + Eng mount, Injen SRI, Quantum QT-106 17" rims, R1 Concepts rotors E-line, Techna-Fit SS Lines, Posi Ceraminc pads, Kart Boy hangers, Magnecor wires, tinted tail lights/markers, High-end sound system, Apexcone 6000k HID's, Seibon CF VSII hood, RB sway & springs, Tokico Shocks, AWR links, Megan H-brace, GT Spec trailing brace, SSG AE grill, Adv. Timing, Hardrace Silicone Radiator Hoses
adamf3250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Step 3:

(this retaining clip is supposed to twist off counter clock wise but that wasn't working for me so this is what I did )

Ok so now you are gona wanna sneek that flat head under the retaining clip on the right side to start with. After some wiggling and prying you should be able to sneek it under there and un-clip on side like shown in the second pic. After you get one side loose just work you way around to the left side and it should come right off. In the third pic you will see the PCV valve, O-ring, and Retaining Clip (Every thing you need for the new one).

Step 4:

Ok after you put the O-ring on the new PCV valve and put the Retaining clip back over it re-attach it to the hose on the intake manifold like in the picture. Now when re-intstalling back onto the car it is gona be a pain. Your gona need a very long flat head to give your self leverage once the PCV valve is back in its spot on the block to secure the retaining clip back on. Once you do that your done ! HAHAHA NOT !

Step 5:

Re-install your intake manifold. Obviously the reverse of how to take it off ! The only advice i can give you is put one bolt in the top right (throttle body long bolt) and the very bottom bolt next. At this point go for the PITA middle bolt. The reason i say this is because if you miss the middle bolt and it falls this way you are only taking off 2 of the easiest to reach bolts in order to retrieve a possible fallen middle bolt. After you get them all back in and everything plugged in. PRAY PRAY PRAY ! Start it up and make sure it sounds the same as before. Any questions or advice feel free to hit me up or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
How to : PCV Valve removal-prying_on_clip.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-clip_off_on_one_side.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-pcv_valve_wih_o_ring_and_clip.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-installed_on_the_intake_manifold.jpg  
2004 Lapis Blue M6i ATX :F2 Headers, Magnaflow Cat & Muffs, F2 BSD, B&M tranny cooler, VF Eng mount, AWR Trans + Eng mount, Injen SRI, Quantum QT-106 17" rims, R1 Concepts rotors E-line, Techna-Fit SS Lines, Posi Ceraminc pads, Kart Boy hangers, Magnecor wires, tinted tail lights/markers, High-end sound system, Apexcone 6000k HID's, Seibon CF VSII hood, RB sway & springs, Tokico Shocks, AWR links, Megan H-brace, GT Spec trailing brace, SSG AE grill, Adv. Timing, Hardrace Silicone Radiator Hoses
Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh and you may look like i did in this pic during and the whole process cause its so damn frustrating !
Attached Thumbnails
How to : PCV Valve removal-me.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kick ass write up thank you, been waiting for this a long time.

kcfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

What is the primary purpose of removing this valve?

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
ttshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

QUOTE (ttshark @ Oct 27 2009, 07:02 PM)
Quote:
What is the primary purpose of removing this valve?[/b]
If and when it becomes clogged from crankcase vapors or excessive oil blow. Usually you car will tend to hesitate, blow blue smoke , or just run like shit. These little 8 dollar parts can blow your damn motor too if not replaced when it goes bad !
Old 10-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (twtraudio @ Oct 28 2009, 12:36 PM)
Quote:
If and when it becomes clogged from crankcase vapors or excessive oil blow. Usually you car will tend to hesitate, blow blue smoke , or just run like shit. These little 8 dollar parts can blow your damn motor too if not replaced when it goes bad ![/b]
no way! I've been wondering why my car is sluggish lately.... maybe I should check it out this weekend with the oil change.

I tried removing the intake mani last time but couldn't. Are there any tools you specifically recommend because my socket wrench was too fat to get inbetween the mani and the radiator (even though it was my precision socket set )

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (ttshark @ Oct 27 2009, 09:34 PM)
Quote:
no way! I've been wondering why my car is sluggish lately.... maybe I should check it out this weekend with the oil change.

I tried removing the intake mani last time but couldn't. Are there any tools you specifically recommend because my socket wrench was too fat to get inbetween the mani and the radiator (even though it was my precision socket set )[/b]
I recommend using a 1/4 inch wratchet and wratchet extension 4" with 1/4 inch sockets (10mm). I also recommend finding these :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W777/?image=large

its a less messy way than using gum. I had them sitting around and man did it help. The middle bolt i used 2 3/8 extensions at 3 " and inserted one in with the socketand bolt and than held onto it and attached the other extension and than hand tightened it and than attached the wratchet. Its a pain but you will get it. Now even though i did this my car is still kinda sluggish or just got used to the advanced timing mod. But i will be sending my ECU for the Piasini flash soon so we will see.
The Following User Says Thank You to adamf3250 For This Useful Post:
wolfewerx (12-18-2013)
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okay so I finally completed the PCV Valve removal. There are a few things I have to contribute to the removal of the Intake Manifold and the valve itself.

Firstly, I completed this last night but there was a large air leak coming from the IM that caused the car to switch off 2 seconds after starting. Yesterday it was rushed and in the dark so it was all wrong. This morning I completed to whole process all over again with a slow pace and doing so resulted in 4 hours being shed off the total time to do this valve change.

One thing you must have for this removal is a large slice of common sense and memory. The removal of the IM in mr.tea's write-up is only to show the valve seats and does not actually remove the IM (because it is a write-up to remove the butterfly valves not the IM). So, you need to keep in mind there are quite a few more plastic clips, sensor plugs and screws you may have to un-do. One important one is the engine oil dipstick. It has to be unscrewed, and also you do not have to completely remove the IM. I merely removed all sensors and clips to the left side of the IM (next to the Power Steering Pulley) and tilted the whole thing to the right to reveal the PCV.

After removing all 8 screws on the IM it did not fall off. I had to pry it off with a large flathead screwdriver.

Now the pipe that reattaches to the PCV Valve is what caused a leak for me. It is very flimsey and has no clips to hold it. I reattached the pipe to the PCV but little did I know the other end which attaches to the IM had come off during the dark work session last night.

Having to do this a second time, the original 6 hour process (involving the loss of 2 sockets and having to go buy some new ones to remove the IM and get them back) was shortened to 2 hours in total.

I found that the thing that helped MOST was buying the deep socket and wrench set. It was a 3/8" Sq drive set and worked b-e-a-utifully. I used extensions from two socket sets, 3", 5" and 6". I had to alternate between the standard and deep 10mm socket to meet the right lengths. And I also had to use a universal joint+deep 10mm+3" extension to get the bolt behind the main wiring over the IM. The middle socket was once again a b****. What I did was line the 10mm sockets with double sided tape on the inside and it work fantastically.

In the end I must admit, combined with my oil change, the car is running amazingly well. For anyone who is keen I also recommend an oil catch can instead of replacing the valve because it gets really clogged with oil. Something I too will undertake at a later date. And while you are at it, consider cleaning the seals on the intake valves and anywhere else. I also re-oiled them after cleaning them to make sure every seal was air-tight.

[attachment=44289:IMG_4128_1_.jpg]

[attachment=44290:IMG_4133_2_.jpg]

[attachment=44291:IMG_4137_2_.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails
How to : PCV Valve removal-img_4128_1_.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-img_4133_2_.jpg   How to : PCV Valve removal-img_4137_2_.jpg  

Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great instructions...

Dealership is quoting me $460 out the door. PCV valve replacement, IM gaskets, and a "fuel injection service". Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm a amateur, so I'm kind of afraid to take everything apart. I've only changed the oil, so not so sure about removing IM and all. By the time I purchase all the tools, do you think my time, curse words, and money will be well spent?
genkidama20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.