2004 2.3L Auto with Blown Engine - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

My father has a 2004 Mazda 6 with 2.3L and auto. The car quit yesterday with the timing chain snapping, due to extremely low oil (Don't ask). Anyway, we have found a 2003 2.3L engine with 81,000KM and 3 month warranty for $1000. I am thinking about replacing the engine myself, but he is hesitant. I sort of am too, but than I think I could handle it. I have been into cars for a long time and have fully restored a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T. However, there aren't any electronics or computers in that car. My question is how difficult is it to replace this engine? What issues would I have to worry about concerning the computers, electronics etc.?
shawnmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea

on the 2.3 it's not really too hard at all if you buy one that is ready to go. but keep in mind, do some reading first, as there's no way to loose the timing belt, as there isn't one, it's a chain.

$1k seems a bit high, but if it's truely bolt it in and go, it might be worth it. and i'm assuming it's the long block, no need to swap anything over from your old motor?
'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

Check Ebay motors, alot of junkyards sell them for less than $1k with similiar or less mileage.
Cobb AP, Sure 3" Full3 Aeros Intake, Autotech Internals, M2 DP, 3" CP-E Single Exit (w/resonator), 3.25" ETS, PnP'ed IM w/VTCS removed, 1/16"Sure TIG spacer Synapse BPV, AWR 70 Duro RMM, JBR 70 Duro TMM, Denso 1-Step Colder Plugs, TWM Shifter Bushings, SM OCC, Custom Shift Knob, Custom Shifter Weight, SURE Shorcut, H&R Springs, Tenzo DC-6 Wheels
Rainmens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Thanks..I knew is was a chain, fingers typed belt instead, if it was a belt, might not be as bad. Do they usually take this engine out by dropping it out the bottom with the front subframe?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sadly even with a belt it would be bad... they are interference engines, so I suspect you have many bent valves.

I change mine through the top by removing the bonnet and then disconnecting everything. The biggest bitch is pulling the driveshafts from the tranny. It won't go back in place with the serpentine belt in place. You have to fit the alternator and exhaust manifold as you lower the motor into the car using a hoist you can move around. You will get the gist of it while taking the screwed motor out. For 2 people that can spin a spanner it's a comfortable 2 day job to re-fit into an empty bay. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Cheers.... Mark

I HAVE NO FRIENDS BUT MY CARS DON'T CARE
KCV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

The dealer told my father that the 2004 2.3L was sligtly different than 2003 (sensors and such) and 2005 and later years. He said he would have to find a 2004 and could not use the 2003.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.