Changed Brake Pads and Disaster HELP!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.3L I-4
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to josh04m6

ok i changed the brake pads and the back two rotors, anyways i get all done and i have no brakes at all....i did take the front calipers off to check the brake pads which i did replace i get all done get my car off the stands and then i have no brakes and i have to put my car at 4K RPm to move 12 inches while in reverse and when in drive i dont move at all, hit rev limiter for 3 seconds and didnt go anywhere with the car in drive.....when im sitting in the car i push the brake pedal and it goes all the way to the floor...i have brake fluid and transmission fluid and my transmission was fine before i did the brake pads which i thought would mean that i screwed up somewhere...only problem is that i dont know where i screwed up and i need some help.....any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated....

the car is an 04 6i AT spin on conversion, intake, ehaust

nothinspecial
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Indy MPS6

Did you bleed your brakes?

Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Indy MPS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
ok i changed the brake pads and the back two rotors, anyways i get all done and i have no brakes at all....i did take the front calipers off to check the brake pads which i did replace i get all done get my car off the stands and then i have no brakes and i have to put my car at 4K RPm to move 12 inches while in reverse and when in drive i dont move at all, hit rev limiter for 3 seconds and didnt go anywhere with the car in drive.....when im sitting in the car i push the brake pedal and it goes all the way to the floor...i have brake fluid and transmission fluid and my transmission was fine before i did the brake pads which i thought would mean that i screwed up somewhere...only problem is that i dont know where i screwed up and i need some help.....any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated....

the car is an 04 6i AT spin on conversion, intake, ehaust

nothinspecial[/b]

Did you bleed them?
publicsrvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

um no i didnt not really sufre how?? will not bleeding them cause my tranny not to catch??
Old 03-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Basically you have lot's of air in your hydraulic brake system. (That's what happens if you remove a caliper or open any of the brake fluid hoses....) The computer wont let the tranny out of park if you don't have pressure on the brakes, so your car isn't going anywhere without a pressurized brake system. You need to completely fill the brake resevoir, and then bleed each of the 4 brake lines.

- To bleed the brakes, locate the bleeder valve on the caliber and slip a 1/4 vacuum hose over the nipple.
- Dangle the other end of the hose in a jar with with enough brake fluid in the bottom to submerse the hose end.
- Now loosen the bleeder valve open about 1/2 - 3/4 turn making sure the hose stays attached to the nipple ane the end stays submersed in the jar.
- Start the car and slowly press the brake pedal to the floor 10-12 times.
- Check the brake resevoir to make sure it doesn't empty, refill, and put the cap back on as needed.
- Keep pumping the brakes until the fluid gets pumped into the jar with no bubbles.
- Re-tighten the bleeder valve, move the the next wheel, and repeat...
- After doing all 4 wheels you brake pedal should be firm and high when the brakes are applied.
- If the pedal still sinks, you have air in the lines or a brake fluid leak somewhere....

I would recommend a book that explains the proper procedure for doing this to ensure you do it correctly. If you don't understand what's going on, tow your car to a mechanic or brake shop and get the job done professionaly. You don't want to lose your brakes!!!
03-6i ATX: Hawk ceramic pads, SS lines, PowerSlot Rotors, Tanabe-NFs+Konis, Kosei K1-TS, Spin On Conversion, Custom CAI/MAF, 2 1/4" Exhaust, Optimized TB, Adjustable Fan Controller CordovaMotorsports.com (An RPM Customer!)
twowheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

well i just finished the bleeding them and everthing is ok disaster resolved thank you very much everyone that decided to post.....
Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

ok i had a relapse the bleeding either didnt work or i didnt do it right i followed your directions completely 100% and no go so maybe that wasnt the problem....i have another question is i reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery will the ECU recheck the brakes and see that they are fine and let my tranny engage or do i just need tranny fluid or ned to drain and flush it??? i never did anything with the tranny so i dont know why that would be the problem,

QUESTION : If i reset the ECU could it possibly fix the problem? if not any suggestion is worth a try at this point..

any insight is greatly helpful even if u think it is awaste of time it COULD work so lemme in or ur thoughts plz!!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Basically you have lot's of air in your hydraulic brake system. (That's what happens if you remove a caliper or open any of the brake fluid hoses....) The computer wont let the tranny out of park if you don't have pressure on the brakes, so your car isn't going anywhere without a pressurized brake system. You need to completely fill the brake resevoir, and then bleed each of the 4 brake lines.

- To bleed the brakes, locate the bleeder valve on the caliber and slip a 1/4 vacuum hose over the nipple.
- Dangle the other end of the hose in a jar with with enough brake fluid in the bottom to submerse the hose end.
- Now loosen the bleeder valve open about 1/2 - 3/4 turn making sure the hose stays attached to the nipple ane the end stays submersed in the jar.
- Start the car and slowly press the brake pedal to the floor 10-12 times.
- Check the brake resevoir to make sure it doesn't empty, refill, and put the cap back on as needed.
- Keep pumping the brakes until the fluid gets pumped into the jar with no bubbles.
- Re-tighten the bleeder valve, move the the next wheel, and repeat...
- After doing all 4 wheels you brake pedal should be firm and high when the brakes are applied.
- If the pedal still sinks, you have air in the lines or a brake fluid leak somewhere....

I would recommend a book that explains the proper procedure for doing this to ensure you do it correctly. If you don't understand what's going on, tow your car to a mechanic or brake shop and get the job done professionaly. You don't want to lose your brakes!!! [/b]
dude you are the man....I would've had no clue about that....no clue.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to karlt10

No, resetting the ECU won't do anything to the brakes. Then again, if you didn't physically remove the lines to the calipers, or open the bleeders the first time around, bleeding the brakes wouldn't have helped either. I've changed brake pads countless times without bleeding the system - it was fine every time.

Did you actually remove the brake lines from the calipers or open the bleeders the first time around? What you describe about the pedal going to the floor sounds like air in the system...

And nothing with the brakes should affect the tranny at all...... you certainly don't need to change tranny fluid.

What EXACTLY did you do when you worked on the brakes? Something isn't adding-up here.....

EGR mod / FilterMag / Street Unit engine mount /
B&M trans cooler / Amsoil fluid
Mazda iPod adapter
/ CX7 antenna
Continental Extreme DWS / Bridgestone Blizzak
karlt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

theres a guide on www.mazda6tech.com that show you how to bleed the brake. Not sure if the site is still up or not anymore...

NO LONGER AN ACTIVE MEMBER OF THIS FORUM. PLEASE DO NOT PM ME. i WILL NOT RESPONSE
*ICE* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.