Redline With Foot Off Accelerator Loads of Smoke - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Redline With Foot Off Accelerator Loads of Smoke

Hi,
I had a DPF flashing light like lots seem to have. After reading some advise about the issue it highlighted short journeys a possible cause. I quite often do short trips so I tried a longer run at higher revs. I had been driving just over 3000 rpm when the engine revs went to redline even with my foot off the accelerator the only way I stopped it was to turn the ignition off there was so much smoke behind that cars slowed and used hazards for others. The car would not restart after making it to a layby. When I had a recovery van turn up he managed to get the car started just by turning the key but it still chucked out loads of smoke. I now have the car at home but don't know who to contact.
Any ideas on the fault and who should I speak too???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Learners License

Hi I would just like to start by saying I'm not the man who can help solve your problem but just to try and help the people in the know I just thought I would start you off.
Where in the world are you?
What model and year is your car?
What colour is the smoke?
Do you have engine management light showing? If so you can buy a cheap odb2 bluetooth sensor which will plug in to the car and display codes to a smartphone or bluetooth laptop.

Hope this helps and good luck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Ipswich, Suffolk, UK
Mazda 6 ts2 Estate 2008
White/Grey Smoke
I have got every light on the dashboard on

Cheers,

Graeme.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you had what's called a run away diesel engine(youtube it),first off go and check your oil level and see if it's near the X mark, the DPF light will flash if you've reached the level, this means you've got a lots of diesel in your engine oil, and the oil is so thined out it's now being burnt, the other cause can be turbo failure.
I would'nt start the engine again as it will do the same thing and could cause lots of damage to your motor.
You need to find a local garage that has Mazda/Ford IDS.WDS software program,they'll need this to read the fault codes and do any resets. i suspect the car will need an oil and filter change, make sure the correct oil is used, it must be a C1 class oil.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to slidey For This Useful Post:
Nedflounders (02-25-2013)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Hi Dave,
The level in the sump has reached the X mark on the dipstick.
Does this mean it is most likely a DPF failure and there is a chance the turbo is OK?
I have had the car taken to Mazda who will look at it as soon as they can
350 without knowing what the fault is yet

Thanks,

Graeme
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM

Hi Graeme
You've not had a DPF failure, the reason for you problem is the oil is to thin as it's been diluted with diesel, hence why your DPF light is flashing, the DPF light has many functions which they don't tell you about in the handbook.
It'll flash on if your oil level has reached the X mark, this means the car NEEDS and oil and filter change, it also acts as a service indicator again it'll flash when 12500mls are reached from the last service, a DPF problem either with the DPF unit or any of the sensors.
All being well just an oil and filter change should sort your problem, unless you have a turbo issue.
I would'nt have bothered with a Mazda dealer, far to expensive on parts and labour rates, a good garage can do the job for a fraction of the price.
Let us know what they say....

Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
The DPF could be clogged up as well if the level passed X, and could need a forged regen at the dealer or a replacement (more expensive than a turbo replacement even).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidey View Post
Hi Graeme
You've not had a DPF failure, the reason for you problem is the oil is to thin as it's been diluted with diesel, hence why your DPF light is flashing, the DPF light has many functions which they don't tell you about in the handbook.
It'll flash on if your oil level has reached the X mark, this means the car NEEDS and oil and filter change, it also acts as a service indicator again it'll flash when 12500mls are reached from the last service, a DPF problem either with the DPF unit or any of the sensors.
All being well just an oil and filter change should sort your problem, unless you have a turbo issue.
I would'nt have bothered with a Mazda dealer, far to expensive on parts and labour rates, a good garage can do the job for a fraction of the price.
Let us know what they say....

Dave
Mazda expensive,really?

They only quoted me 4700 to fix but the person on the phone did tell me that I get a oil filter and oil change thrown in with that...
I had doubts until then but when he told me that I thought Bargain!!!

Apparently all 4 injectors have failed(Is that likely that all of them would have failed?) they pumped in too much diesel that has clogged up the DPF.
If they replace the injectors, regen the DPF and oil and oil filter change I can have it back for the earlier mentioned 4700. He spoke to me as relaxed as a cold caller on the phone who was expecting an answer to say yes please go ahead

What do you think of that???

Cheers,

Graeme.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM

How much, is that for a new engine as well, i very much doubt any of the injectors have failed,they've proved very reliable, i would ask why they can't do a manual regen on the DPF and if you actually do need one you can get them on ebay for around 350.
I would ask them to just do a oil and filter change and regen the DPF plus do the resets and see how it runs, i suspect the problem will go away.
The injectors are controlled by the ecu and fuel pump, they can't just dump extra fuel in when they feel like it, nor would all 4 fail together.
The extra fuel (oil) is coming from either the turbo that has a failed oil seal or over diluted oil getting past the piston rings.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to slidey For This Useful Post:
Nedflounders (02-26-2013)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I'll call them tomorrow and ask some questions.
How much do you think they will charge for the Manual Regen, resets and service?

Just so if they tell me 2K I'll ask for a Meerkat as well!!!

Cheers,

Graeme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page