2006 Mazda 6 2.0 143 Diesel Buying Advice - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Mazda 6 2.0 143 Diesel Buying Advice

Hello everyone,

I've just joined up to the forum and I've done some digging around on the mazda diesels. Honestly im on the fence as I've been offered a Mazda 6 143 Diesel with 90K miles for around 2800 by my friendly mechanic. My dad and I bought our cars from him and they've been excellent and reliable, he takes care of his cars very well.

Well being a student i've been driving my citroen xsara 1.4 petrol for close to 2 years now and while ive enjoyed it for the time ive had it, I've saved up enough to afford a change.

Well, he has the mazda for sale and to be honest ive fallen for it. Its a black facelift TS spec and for a diesel im impressed with its performance and actually how quiet it is.

Now im quite into my cars and naturally did research on it and am aware of the potential issues with the engine but understand the majority is due to the DPF. Most of my journeys are town mainly to uni and back with about 45 mins drive to work on the weekends.

The cars been fully serviced and had the cambelt and intercooler changed, new tyres and only been run on mazda dpf oil - it is in immaculate condition.

So.. my questions are:

a) Can any of you advise me on whether i should buy it or steer clear?..

b) I would plan on removing the dpf for peace of mind (including the ecu calibration) so would this eliminate the issues surrounding the oil levels and dpf related matters? Is there any other potential issues to be concerned with?

I'm quite mechanically minded and enjoy getting my hands dirty lol, I'm just in doubt over putting money into it if its unlikely to last at least 3 years.

Sorry for such a long post but im confident I came to the right place and hopefully at some point look forward to being a proud Mazda owner!

Thanks!

Last edited by DeltaOscar; 12-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
DPF's don't like short trips, what happens is the DPF gets full and starts it's regen, the trip is only short so the regen is never completed and you end up with a blocked DPF.What i do to get round this is,i have my trip computer on instant readout, when i see the readout climbing to over 20 all the time i know it's doing a regen and i keep on driving until it's completed and the figures back to normal.
On a higher mileage model it's worth checking the oil pick up/strainer is clean, they can get blocked up over time and starve the turbo of oil and in the end the whole engine.
You will need to find a local garage with the correct software to do your resets after an oil change, not something you can really do yourself.
Stay away from people who claim they can alter the ECU by deleting files, it does'nt work! the way to go is with emulators, iirc it takes 3 of these and you won't have any problems when you plug the car in for say a service reset.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to slidey For This Useful Post:
DeltaOscar (12-04-2012)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your post, much appreciated.

I did read about the emulation of the ecu..

However I think i'm steering more towards a 2.0 petrol model now after a long think about it as, as you say, dpfs don't like short trips. I feel this would apply to a diesel in general as with my driving it is mostly short trips with the odd lead footed exercise on the weekend - I'd probably be spending more on fuel as the engine would never really get up to temperature correctly. Plus the nagging thoughts of potential disasters waiting to happen..

Thanks anyway!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Learners License

hi guys, i bought my mazda6 143bhp at 62000 miles with the DPF light flashing fast. rookie error which i regret big time. having said that we've got to 92450 miles now over just over 2 years later, had 2 trips to mazda garage for oil change and sefvice, and DPF reset, and the car runs great. BUT...only 2000 miles since last 130 trip to mazda...coming back from birmingham to portsmouth last night, it went into limp mode with no warning lights on dash, with 100 miles to go :-( wouldnt go in 6th due to lack of power, tried running in 4th to increase revs and clear out DPF, to no avail.
At M40/A34 junction, she came back to life just as i was getting off m40, great. then after 3 mins on A34 she went into limp again, DPF light started flashing medium speed compared to service warning fast flash, and engine warning light came on also.
limped home and now have the painful thought of calling mazda tomorrow morning to get it sorted. no other garage can touch the mazda ECU and DPF. it all stinks, i love our mazda6 when shes running great, but this is the last time it *ucks with me like this. at 9pm on a saturday night with my son on board...i dont want a car thats gonna let me down like this has.
you can have my mazda for 2000 mate...i'm sick of it ! lol. marty.

slidey, what are your thoughts? what do you make of companies claiming DPF removal altogether? sounds too good to be true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page