Power issues (2 litre sakata 2006) - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 2.0 Diesel
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good idea, will email the seller.
That ELM327 connector is only 10 so Ive ordered one to give it ago. Works with Mazda diesels 2004 onwards and many other cars and can read and clear DTCs. Unlikely it will let me do DPF regen (I think I need VCM module for any in depth diagnostics) but will be useful to read codes and other live data for troubleshooting.

I did come across that "Tips and Tricks" page a few days ago and gave it a go yesterday with no conclusive results .

Tried DPF regen, DPF reset, Oil reset, Injectors recalibration and none of the steps worked.

I then disconnected the battery for about 10 min, connected again and immediately tried DPF regen procedure. RPMs increased to ~1750 and it looked like the DPF regen process had started. After exactly a minute engine RPM dropped to under 1000 and idled. I thought that I accidentally stopped it by turning the heating/radio on so I tried DPF regen again and it would not work. Tried DPF reset and then regen again - no joy.

So I tried battery disconnect -> DPF regen - Same result - DPF regen starts and stops after exactly 1 min.

I then tried Oil change reset / injectors calibration process and never saw glow plugs lights lit up as described. Tried each process after battery disconnect - no joy.
Took it for a drive and the car is still lacking acceleration and power.

I am now paranoid and think that the previous owner messed with the dashboard lights to get rid of DPF warning light so he could sell the car.

Could you tell me which lights supposed to light up and go off when the engine is started? Or is there a way to check all the dashboard lights are working?

Some more news. I called Mazda UK to get it registered under my name and asked if it was due for any recalls. They called back and said that it was and I can take to a local dealer for a free repair service.
This is the recall problem :

Recall Details for MAZDA - Mazda 3, 5 6 and 6 Wagon (fitted with RF Diesel engine)

Apparently ECU needs to be reprogrammed.
I am now hoping that the dealer will do a proper check up on the car with official Mazda diagnostics tools and tell me what the problem is.

Happy new Year to you btw
hyperbole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the best bet is to see what the Mazda dealer comes back with, it could just be that the garage have'nt reset the ECU properly after the DPF replacement.Explain to Mazda that you've had your DPF replaced and will they check the resets for you.
The recall is to stop for diesel run on, this happens when you get to much diesel in your oil and the engine won't shut down and keeps on reving until it blows up! they reflash the ECU and fit a new dip stick with new markings for the oil levels.
I will check the dash lights for you when my car gets back, my girlfriend is out on a qualifying lap at the moment lol
All the best for the new year.

Dave
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Dropped the car off this morning at Mazda dealer and after few hours received a phone call from them saying that they can't find my car on Mazda's system for a recall and nothing needs to be done (primarily they are ford dealers but also do mazda servicing).
I insisted they checked again. After few hours got another phone call confirming recall job will be done and a list of "other problems" needed looking into and their cost estimates:

*side light 25
*oil leak from front of the engine - 120 to investigate only
*cat & pressure sensor (DPF) needs replacing 2500
*n/s outer cv gaitor split - 250 replacement
* Oil / air filter change - 200

Amazing pricing?

I asked if they can recalibrate DPF they refused and insisted I take it back to the garage that replaced DPF.

Oil leak turned out to be drippings of oil on the engine cover from when I stupidly pulled out dip stick whilst the engine was running two days ago and they wanted 120 to investigate?

Not impressed.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't you just love Mazdas pricing, it changes from dealer to dealer, 200 for a oil change, they're having a laugh along with the DPF.
Looks like you've got a faulty pressure sensor according to them, there is one on ebay at the moment
DPF Pressure Sensor RF7J - Mazda 6 Diesel 05-08 *Spare* | eBay

Dave
slidey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Surely there must be a fault code registered for that sensor, but 2500 ??? That's just incredible!
mrflobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

I don't trust these people. The guy was just reading out instructions from Mazda tech people.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Learners License

The DPF light lights up when you switch on the ignition, same as the oil lamp etc... just to show they're working. I would suggest, from your errors that you should have seen the DPF light, so if it doesn't come on when the ignition is first turned on, the bulb must be out. I'll be hooking up mine to some diagnostics tomorrow and see if there's anything going on, the ash accumulation error sounds interesting. If there's no errors, I'm going to try a jar of that Wynns Diesel Gold stuff, who knows, maybe it works!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

So I run some diagnostics on the car yesterday (official Mazda IDS/VCM) with a guy from Mileage Correction London / Mobile Car Diagnostics London / Xenon Conversion London - R2Diagnostic very knowledgeable guy with a lot of experience with DPF and car electronics. Highly reccomeded.

He completely reset PCM data , and then scanned for DTCs and nothing was coming up. P242F code that was stored also disappeared. All was looking promising until he showed me gas back pressure readings.
When idle readings were around 30 (I can't remember correct measurement used) when the engine went up to 3000 RPM readings jumped to 70. He then told me that with a clean DPF idle reading should be around 3 and with 3000 RPM 8. They measure this as part of their DPF cleaning service.
He tried starting forced DPF regen and it would not start. DPF is totally blocked was his verdict.
@mrflobby thanks for the tips about the lights. I took the dash out this morning and slightly pulled the black cover off to see what was behind without taking the needles out and guess what? DPF, engine management and one other light were covered by electrical tape !!!. So I pulled the tape off assembled the dash and turned the car on. Engine management light and DPF lights now flash and go away but after few second DPF light at the top starts flashing.

Taking the car back to the garage that fitted DPF 3 weeks ago.

Good learning experience but I am now getting tired of this
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Learners License

Geez, that doesn't sound good! Some dirty basket has done that deliberately, probably to sell the car.

I was looking at mine today also... no fault codes whatsoever...

Found this document https://euroesi.mazda.co.jp/esicont/...2f1841700.html

Which suggests that if the EXHPRESS PID value is less than 4.0 kPa {30.0 mmHg} at idle, with a warm engine then all is normal. Mine fluctuates (if I'm reading the right sensor), but no more than 1.xx and generally below 1. If your guys says it should be 4 mmHg then that would be 0.53 kPa which ties in with my readings.

As for accumulation... I recorded a bunch of values for accumulation amount, generation amount, and desired amount.

Accumulation amount goes up slowly, and I'm guessing that the generation amount is the threshold for an active regeneration. Desired must be the target amount of particulate matter that will end the regeneration. I did notice, if I put the foot down, the accumulated amount dipped slightly... so that must be the passive regeneration in action!

From what I've read, if any of these values exceeds 15, then your DPF is finished. Mine are all below 2 at this time.

Basically, I'm no closer to finding a reason for lesser MPG on mine. I did put some Wynns gold stuff in it, so perhaps it will improve...

BTW, if I were you I'd change the oil and make sure it's the C1 spec (I use the Carlube one, but Shell have also started doing one...)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

I changed the oil and oil filter before running diagnostics yesterday. Used Shells Ultra AFL 5w30, aparently designed for Mazda and Ford (said on the bottle )

That was it - kPa!. So mine was 30kPa at idle and 60-70kPa at 3000RPM !

They guys said up to 3kPa is normal at idle and up to 8kPa at 3000RPM so sounds like yours is not blocked.

Could you problem be related to blocked or damaged injectors? Aparently these are common to fail on Mazda 6. Have you tried recalibrating them?
See
https://euroesi.mazda.co.jp/esicont/...0f1800600.html and Tips and Tricks for MAZDA 6 (GH) 2.0D MZR-CD (RF-Turbo) 2007 - 09. - www.cdn.dk

Does anyone know how long it takes for DPF to get blocked? If I had it replaced 3 weeks ago, could it get blocked in such a short period? I did over 2K miles on mottorway in this period. Am I right to assume that either the DPF unti is faulty or second hand or it was not fitted propery (fitted but not reset )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.