2003 Mazda 6 v6 - problems - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 Mazda 6 v6 - problems

I just bought my Mazda 6 in November. I love my car, but there are some problems that have my mechanic husband and friend stumped:

There is a high pitched hissing sound coming from the right (passenger) side. We've heard vacuum line/hose/pump leak could be problem; bearings in alternator; bad throttle body. Depending on the computer you put in to run codes, you'll be told there are cylinders misfiring, or codes going back to the throttle body.

Whenever I pull up to a stop, there is a faint burning smell that comes into the cab. The car isn't overheating and there is no smoke.

Last week, my husband was waiting for me when all the lights on the dash came on. When he started the car, the engine began to surge or rev (rpm's were up and down, up and down). He had to turn the car off and on again several times before the engine stabilized.

We took the vehicle to a mechanic and he replaced a radiator coolant connector hose that is T-shaped. My was a lower case r shape with cracks throughout. I picked the car up yesterday and....the high pitched hissing noise still present, the burning smell in the cab is WORSE (I had to drive with my sunroof tilted open to funnel it out), and the surging started again.

Any ideas, anyone else have any of these problems? We know we need to take it back to mechanic, but we want to have some kind of idea of what we're looking at since we're getting mixed messages on what the problem(s) is with the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Now that I read this, mine is also making a similar noise but I've only heard it on the highway. I thought it was the air recirculation gate not fully closing (my previous 6 had this issue). My engine idles and runs smoothly but I'm going to check all vacuum lines just in case.
I did experience the same rpm issue once, it happened when my daughter was driving it (I bought this car to teach her how to drive standard) and I thought it was caused because she was spinning the wheels or stalling too often. It went away after I restarted the engine. Weeks after that event I did find a bad coil which I replaced.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Check your PCV hose near the firewall behind the intake manifold. Also, check your intake accordion tube for tears. It could make you run poorly, as could the PCV.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Check your PCV hose near the firewall behind the intake manifold. Also, check your intake accordion tube for tears. It could make you run poorly, as could the PCV.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

I agree. I've had that PVC hose go bad and that vacuum leak will make it hiss and cause the engine to run rough. The PVC valve would be good to change out also. They are cheap and if they malfunction the engine will burn oil. You'll get an intermittent puff of smoke out the exhaust which might explain your burning smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Yesterday I looked deeper into the hissing sound my 6 has. Mine is related to speed and not to rpms therefore I continue to believe is an air damper/seal issue and not a vacuum leak. The PCV valve was the first thing I replaced after reading all the recommendations in this forum.

I remember having that similar surging on my previous 6, it happened like once a year. All I had to do to fix it was clean the MAF.
I would also check that all coils are working.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
So... couple things. The burning smell is likely oil being burned off the exhaust manifold after it leaks from a failed seal. The first thing I'd try is the valve cover gaskets and plug well gaskets.

The random misfires... I HIGHLY recommend that you replace ALL 6 plugs and ALL 6 coils. Misfires can cause BIG problems with this car in the form of premature engine failure. If you are doing the valve cover gaskets already, you will have most of the hard prep work done in advance.

The hissing sound is likely a vacuum leak. You'll have to chase that down. The PCV hose and valve are a good thing to replace. I bought dealer parts to make sure I got the newly engineered hose that won't collapse. If you haven't replaced it yet, I recommend you do.

The bucking could be the accordion hose from the air box to the throttle body as others have said. I would certainly start there. Take it off and articulate it looking for small tears in the bellows. Even small leaks can cause BIG problems there.

Please report back... we all want to know what you found to be the problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Forgot about the throttle body... there have been some historical problems with the throttle body not working correctly. This car is a drive by wire car meaning there is a possition sensor at the throttle pedal in the car and a drive motor for the butterfly in the throttle body. I don't remember the specifics, but there are plenty of posts in the archives. If it was failing it's possible this could cause bucking too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
So... couple things. The burning smell is likely oil being burned off the exhaust manifold after it leaks from a failed seal. The first thing I'd try is the valve cover gaskets and plug well gaskets.
I agree. Anything coming out of the engine compartment will be pulled into the fresh intake for the cabin. Try turning the HVAC to recirculate, this may help.

Quote:
The random misfires... I HIGHLY recommend that you replace ALL 6 plugs and ALL 6 coils. Misfires can cause BIG problems with this car in the form of premature engine failure.
I cannot second this enough! I am currently replacing all 4 catalytic converters due to a prolonged misfire issue from a previous owner. The first time I replaced only the first "warm up" cats. The secondary cats became restricted causing the premature failure of the "warm up" cats. so now I am doing it all again along with the oxygen sensors.

Quote:
The hissing sound is likely a vacuum leak. You'll have to chase that down. The PCV hose and valve are a good thing to replace. I bought dealer parts to make sure I got the newly engineered hose that won't collapse. If you haven't replaced it yet, I recommend you do.

The bucking could be the accordion hose from the air box to the throttle body as others have said. I would certainly start there. Take it off and articulate it looking for small tears in the bellows. Even small leaks can cause BIG problems there.

Please report back... we all want to know what you found to be the problem.
All very sound advice and where I would start as well.
I would budget $200 for coils and about 2hrs
or
$1300 for coils and exhaust and about 8hrs

2004 Wagon S 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N) 167,000mi
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
korol (Today)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page