Mazda 6 Forums banner

Custom Mounting Head-Unit

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  A81mont 
#1 ·
So I'm kind of surprised that the only available dashkit is the ~$180 one from Metra for 2007 Mazda 6. I took apart the dash and I found out that the climate control buttons + hazard are wired into the radio's circuit board. I found a picture of the back of the older single din dash kit and it seem's pretty simple

http://www.autotoys.com/pics/mazda6dashkitnew2.jpg

How hard do you think it would be to fabricate the circuit board? If it's possible to just get those buttons to work then I could just use the stock face plate and remove only the radio. Then I could just cut out a sheet of plastic to cover the gaps around the aftermarket head unit. I'm thinking total cost would be around $40-$50. Any opinions?

The reason why I want to keep the stock face plate is because I've read complaints about the Metra kit not sitting flush with the rest of the dash and also pretty poor quality buttons.

#2 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
There are no issues, he did not touch the factory fascia. The kit he used puts the radio in the dashboard cubby.

#12 ·
So I have done the installation since my last post and the issue I am having is that the lights linked to the A/C on off, air circulation in and out of car and rear defroster that illuminate when on or off no longer function so I have no way of knowing what setting I'm or whether they even work. I'm wondering how to solve this but I'm not sure if power is needed to still be connected to where the factory harness was or if the other cables in the harness are responsible for that. I'm wondering if I can just splice the constant, acc, illumination, speakers and ground wires so they run to the original radio and new unit. Not sure if that would cause voltage issues for the new head unit.

#13 ·
Honestly, I had or have the a similar problem that you just mentioned but it's only with the rear defroster. There would be lag with the response of the light that emits for the defroster. I was about to have it professionally installed but the guys said that I need the bracket from the oem radio.... do I really need that part?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.